Join our investing community

The world at 7 billion

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Tropo, 1st Nov, 2011.

1. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

2. Johny_come_lately

Johny_come_lately Well-Known Member

I have noticed the increased population in the form of traffic. I visited Brisbane in the early 80's. Traffic then was brisk, with few jams. There is now double the cars on the road.:eek: Travelling from the Gold Coast to the city, on a Sunday afternoon, is a nightmare.

Can Australia reach 40 million without a lowering of our lifestyle quality?

Johny.

3. Chris C

Chris C Well-Known Member

If the majority of workers are still driving their cars into work each day in 2050 I will be really bummed about the state of the world.

The vast majority of jobs that people drive into the city for could be done from home, or at least non CBD locations, it seems only natural that with time people will be allows to work from home.

4. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

Australia's population to grow to 42 million by 2050, modelling shows | News.com.au

5. Chris C

Funny thing is at 40 million plus is we will still have one of the lowest density populations in the world...

And are "lifestyles" in cities like Tokyo, New York, London, etc really THAT bad...

Going from 20 million to 40 million won't be the end of the world and should do wonders for the stock market... might have to have another look at WOW.

6. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

7. Chris C

I still don't undersatnd what the big fuss is about. Australia's population has been growing since Europeans arrived here... so far living standards have continued to trend up.

Millions of people in London, New York, Tokyo all manage to live fullfilling lives despite the majority of them living apartment.

Everyone always talks about what they'd lose - but no one talks about what we'd gain - economies of scale. Australia is a BLOODY expensive place to live for no other reason there are not a lot of us, and we are sprawled out all over the place.

I was in London for a couple of weeks recently and I haven't eaten so cheap in a first world country for years... that's what economies of scale gets you.

Just the other day I was reading on bloomberg that the UK is rolling out a fibre network, but they are doing it for a few billion compare to our $44 billion...

There are upsides to higher density living.

8. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

Well ... as you know every stick has two ends.