Margin Loans Timeframes for margin calls

Discussion in 'Sharemarket Investing Platforms, Tools & Services' started by samaka, 17th Dec, 2007.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. samaka

samaka Well-Known Member

Hi all,

If your investment value drops far enough to trigger a margin call - how long do you have before you need to act on it?

Are we talking days or weeks? I figure most lenders would give you a week minimum to cover temporary volatility - although I guess thats what the margin buffer is for...

For example it would take a few days for me to transfer money out of my high-interest savings account and then make another contribution, or purchase more shares, or even pay down the loan.

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

24 hours ... although it often takes them a day or two to actually give you a margin call - but when they do, they expect immediate action. You may be able to hold them off if you can show evidence of taking action (eg funds transfers or sales / purchases).

If you are already in your buffer zone - you should be taking action to ensure you have a plan for if you do get a margin call.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia