Today's Market

Discussion in 'Sharemarket News & Market Analysis' started by Alan__, 13th Jun, 2006.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Alan__

Alan__ Well-Known Member

Well that was certainly an 'interesting' day on the Market. ASX200 down 127 points! :eek:

What say you Tropo....... Stay Cool? :cool:

I bit of a 'bounce' within the next week or so would be nice......or better still.......lots of drops and bounces, followed by a nice BIG bounce.....

:)

2. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

Alan,

What worries me it's H&S pattern (bearish) which Dow developed...so Dow may hit 10500 according to my projection.
    So far XJO is following Dow (more or less).
    If this continues we may see XJO around 4780 and 4680 (reasonable strong support).
    Most of the time after big drop market bounces back. The question is for how long and how high.
    If you consider weekly chart, you will see that XJO is still in the range (last 3 years resistance/support channel)
    As always ......Stay :cool: and enjoy the choppy market ;)

3. Jane M

Jane M Well-Known Member

Yields

At least yields will be improving. And PE ratios lower. Trying to look on the bright side.

4. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

So who's buying?

I reckon I'm a month away from buying lots of BHP if she stays at $25.

5. Alan__

Alan__ Well-Known Member

US Futures are currently down too Tropo.........we may have another 'interesting' day tomorrow. :rolleyes:

Stay cool it is...... ;)

6. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

Bad news.
    We may need air bags than....;)
    Also, watch Dow around 10720 (seems to me that it's pulling towards 10600).
    Have a good one....
    :cool:

7. Denis__

Denis__ Well-Known Member

Dividend History

I am trying to complete Tax Returns for my father.
    Does anyone know of a FREE SITE where l can access Dividends paid in past years?
    Thanks
    Denis

8. Jane M

Jane M Well-Known Member

ASX site has all dividends.

9. Denis__

Denis__ Well-Known Member

Thanks Rickson,
    I think it is only for the most recent twelve months, unless l am not looking in the right place.
    Regards
    Denis

10. Alan__

Alan__ Well-Known Member

Hi Denis.

I'm not sure how many Stocks you are after, but I guess you could also go to the individual Company Websites?

:)

11. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000006&sid=a6YZCrITKsJQ&refer=home

June 13 (Bloomberg) -- Gold fell the most in 15 years, dropping below $600 an ounce, and copper tumbled to a seven-week low as investors bailed out of commodities and equities on concern that rising interest rates will slow the global economy.

`Reduction in Liquidity'
    ``Commodities probably are in for a period of correction,'' Soros told financial news network CNBC yesterday. ``We are in a situation where all asset classes are under pressure because of a reduction in liquidity.''

``The fears of a slowing economy are going to cast doubt on the demand for metals,'' said James Vail, who manages $700 million in natural-resource stocks at ING Investments LLC in New York. ``It's a very unsettling time. We're overreacting on the downside as much as we were overreacting on the upside.''

:rolleyes:

12. Alan__

Alan__ Well-Known Member

Maybe it's just me, but what a beautiful Chart we had today! That big dive down to around 4760 and the rebound back up to 4850 to finish 11.9 up. :)

I literally sat on the sidelines and then held up the almost perfect score of 9.5. What a trading range..... what opportunites........Aussie......Aussie......Aussie........Oi....Oi.....Oi :D

Seriously, I think the last few weeks have presented a variety of wonderful opportunities for investors. Not the least of which was to learn a bit more about ourselves!

Have you ever noticed when the sharemarket is booming, the talk around the coffee urn can be a bit like "My Fund is up 35%"......."Really.......mine is much better at 38%" etc.........and a variety of chuckles and generally big smiles abound. Not a great deal of lessons learnt.

However I think the last few weeks are really made to test us and can deliver some very worthwhile lessons........if we listen!

I have heard more and more talk lately of big selloffs, taking losses, realising they may have over extended themselves.......in short........much more fear and serious talk.

I think we get few better opportunities to observe how we personally react to certain financial situations and how much we feel we are driven as opposed to being in the drivers seat.

13. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

Do not get it wrong.
    Choppy market is still on and may deliver a few surprises.

14. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

Some great observations there Alan. This has been my first correction, and so far I haven't sweated the unrealised losses. But it's taught me the benefit of having money on the sidelines to pickup (perceived) bargains.

15. Alan__

Alan__ Well-Known Member

Wow..........DOW just closed UP almost 200 points! :)

Who knows what will happen next week........ but as we edge towards the end of the Quarter, I think those Funds who like a bit of volatility may start to buy the odd bottle of champagne...... even if it is a bit too early to open just yet.

16. Jenny__

Jenny__ Well-Known Member

Which index does the navra american fund trade? Looking at the dow jones indexes site (for the very first time) there are quite a fex indexes? Four "key indicators" listed each rising between 1.83% and 2.35%.

Jenny

17. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

"..... may start to buy the odd bottle of champagne...... even if it is a bit too early to open just yet ".

Well said !

18. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

It doesn't so much "trade an index", as trade a selection of stocks that are typically found in a particular index.

I do know what you mean by the question, but just be careful with your terminology ... "Trading an index" is a term typically used to describe the operation of an "index fund" - which tries to match an index. NavraInvest does not do this ... it merely uses an index as a guide for which stocks to consider for its portfolio, and also uses the index as a benchmark.

According to the NavraInvest website, for the American fund "the benchmark is the Dow Jones Industrial Average (DJIA)"

http://www.navrainvest.com.au/index.asp?content=our_fund

19. Jenny__

Jenny__ Well-Known Member

Apologies if question unclear and language used inappropriately. This happens when you try to converse in a language you don't understand:confused:

You answered the question I thought I asked - thanks.

20. Nigel Ward

Nigel Ward Well-Known Member

Don't feel shy about asking Jenny. We all learn something from the exchanges.

My understanding of "trading an index" is to buy derivatives based on that index i.e. futures contracts of index options.

What Sim' calls index trading I would have called "index tracking" which is, as he described, buying a parcel of shares that closely models the make up of a particular stock index so that you effectively get the same performance of that index (less what's called a tracking error).

There's also a distinction, as Sim said, between using a particular index as your performance benchmark. There need not be a direct match between the investments held by a fund and its perf benchmark.

but hey potAtoes, POTatoes... (doesn't really work in print does it? :D )

Cheers
    N.