TOL & TCL Shares

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by ASF, 23rd Apr, 2008.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ASF

ASF Member

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone had an opinion on both Toll Holdings and Transurban Group as they stand at the moment?

Do you think they are undervalued at their current share prices?

Cheers,

Ayal

2. JustB

JustB Well-Known Member

Well I hope so, as I picked up TOL @ $7.5. Over 50% fall from previous high, and still a fundamentally sound business, looks well under-valued to me. Only question is how long before it stages its recovery, but I'm patient. What is your investment time-frame?

3. ASF

ASF Member

My timeframe is over 10 years so I'm thinking I'll buy in at market very soon. As you said they have strong fundamentals and a strong performance. My only concern is how quickly they can sell-off Virgin as that's a major loss-making division of their business.

Any other thoughts?

4. tropic

tropic Well-Known Member

I think I paid $14 for my TOL shares and I sold them and bought them back at around $8 (for tax purpose). It hasn't been exactly a great investment for me. One of the worst as a matter of fact.
    But at a current price I am holding for looonnngg term.
    I think other issues like energy prices (petrol, diesel etc) and borrowing cost have been putting some pressure on the bottom line.

5. Young Gun

Young Gun Guest

These might be helpful

Attached Files:

6. tropic

tropic Well-Known Member

Thanks for the research paper.

You have to be a citi client to get this report I would think?
    Do they have a research on MTS (Metcash)?

7. ASF

ASF Member

Thanks a lot for those articles. They are fantastic. I second the question of how you gain access to such extensive materials? Is there any costs associated with being a CitiBank client?

8. JustB

JustB Well-Known Member

Only thing I don't comprehend in that TOL analysis, is the wait for the price to appreciate from $7.50 to $8.40 before upgrading the recommendation to buy. Especially as the article acknowledges the announcement of the sale of NZ rail and ferry was not a surprise. That's 12+% gain missed for no apparent reason.

But I certainly hope people continue to take heed of the buy recommendation - turns my good profit into great profit :)

9. Young Gun

Young Gun Guest

I get access to Citibank's research as they are our designated broker for client trades. Used to get UBS, Macquarie & JBWere as well but since I've changed employment i lost access to these :(

As a private client of any of the major brokers you should get access to similar reports such as these. but you will have direct a substantial amount of trades through them to warrant access.

I would warn that these papers should be taken with a grain of salt as they only represent one brokers view of a particular stock and they may have a vested interest in those stocks succeeding or failing.

I've found one for MTS but its very outdated so not worth posting, reports generally only come out after profit results or major news such as the IPL one I've attached.

I'll post more in the future when its a stock of interest

Attached Files:

10. ASF

ASF Member

No dramas. Thanks for your advice and helpful info.

I'm a Financial Adviser with the CBA so we're limited very much to CommSec though we cannot directly advise clients with regard to the equity market.

If you have any articles regarding ResMed (RMD) please pass them on..

Thanks again!

11. tropic

tropic Well-Known Member

Thanks Young Gun.
    I saw the IPL chart before and when I see a chart like that I usually shy away from it. It has gone up 10 fold in less than 3 years I wonder how much more it will go.
    Chartist loves it because it looks like the sky is the limit.