Tpd payout

Discussion in 'Superannuation, SMSF & Personal Insurance' started by vickip, 19th Jul, 2010.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. vickip

vickip New Member

Hi, i have received a tpd payout which i have paid tax on and my question is whether i need to disclose this on my tax return. I do not see the need to as i have already paid the tax, Hope you can help !

2. Superman__

Superman__ Well-Known Member

Hi VickiP

It depends on who the owner of the policy was.

If the policy was in your name, then likely it will not be taxable.

Below is a summary in regards to the tax deductibility of disability premiums and also the taxation treatment of the proceeds:

[​IMG]

This is the best answer I can give based on the information you have supplied.

SM

3. Jenni__

Jenni__ Active Member

Hi

Generally if tax has been taken out of any payment you need to declare it in your tax return as the tax taken out is an estimate and may be affected by any other income.

Also, you may have actually had too much tax taken out, again depending on your other income.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia