Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. John19

John19 New Member

Hi
    I am 57 (58 in Apr) I am about to go through the process of applying for a TPD. My policy is part of my superannuation ( which is currently sitting idle as I am not working) my question; if I am successful in my application, can I have the payout "sit" in my super until I turn 60, then draw down to take advantage of any tax benefit ?

2 people like this.
  2. SMSFCoach

SMSFCoach Member

If you will not be working then look at getting advice on using the Low Rate Threshold to access some tax free component and up to $195K of any Taxable component Taxed or Untaxed Elements, this would minimise the tax on a TPD payment from super (untaxed elelment) to 17% on that component and nil tax on the tax free component. You can do this between 56-59 years of age. Otherwise the strategy of waiting until 60 is a good alternative to mimise the tax to up to 17% as the TPD payout will have a Taxable Component (Untaxed Element). There are pension options too

6 people like this.
  3. Fuzzy

Fuzzy Member

What is Low Rate Threshold? I am drawing on TPD payout as income stream and pay no tax because there is 15% disability offset that applies , so by taking the minimum 4% per year as pension , the offset is higher than tax payable so I don't pay tax I get the 4% tax free.

2 people like this.
  4. Corey Batt

Corey Batt Well-Known Member

Hi John, best to seek advice on this. Previously we have helped similar clients have the TPD payment retained in superannuation and started a tax free disability pension which can work very well. This can also make use of the 15% tax offset and also the thresholds as mentioned above.

4 people like this.