Join our investing community

Tracking managed funds

Discussion in 'Managed Funds & Index Funds' started by Here_To_Learn, 13th Feb, 2007.

1. Here_To_Learn

Here_To_Learn Well-Known Member

Sim - just wandering how you have setup your portfolio in order to track it weekly !

We update our excel files monthly but there is always a lag between knowing exactly what the Navra fund is doing and what the Margin Lender reports. Is there a smarter way ?

Last edited by a moderator: 13th Feb, 2007
  2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Co-founder Staff Member

Actually I track it daily - I get the unit prices for each fund direct from the fund manager websites. I actually have this automated now - I have a computer program that gets the data for me, and then I just paste it into the spreadsheet to update it with the latest prices.

I never go from what the margin lender reports - they are too slow and sometimes make mistakes !!

You should sign up for online account access with your fund managers too - you can get more up-to-date and accurate information on transactions.

3. Here_To_Learn

May I ask what the name of the program is ?

Finding a way to track our portfolios daily would be a dream for us !

4. Simon Hampel

Unfortunately, it is not an off-the-shelf product - it is one I wrote myself. I don't know of any products that allow you to track managed funds with automated updates. I am looking to build a web based application to do this (my spreadsheet has become too complicated and difficult to manage). It will take me a while to build it - so don't hold your breath - but I'd hope to have a beta version online later this year.

I'm looking forward to when my investments allow me to ditch my day-job and focus on doing this kind of stuff full time - much more interesting and satisfying !!!

5. Here_To_Learn

Roger that !

I will watch this space then .... :D

6. AndrewG

AndrewG Well-Known Member

Sim,
    Have you had any dealing with the online website "InvestSMART" - where you can setup your own portfolio and track it accordingly etc.?

Just wondering if anyone here has any experience with this company?

Their entry fee rebate and TrailCap seems above board and beneficial.

Andrew.

7. Simon Hampel

Andrew - I have no experience with them and can't comment about their services. There are plenty of companies out there offering similar fee rebate mechanisms for retail investors.

I used Neville Ward Direct when I first started - but I only invest in wholesale funds now, so haven't needed to deal with such organisations. NWD was bought out by Commsec a couple of years back.

8. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

Heh, I dealt with Your Prosperity once upon a time. They were bought by NAB.

9. _Sharon_

_Sharon_ Active Member

Hi Andrew,

The first I knew of InvestSmart was shortly after my husband passed and I received a cheque from them for the amount over the capped $396. After looking into it I discovered that he had listed our OMIP shares with them. Before that the company (Man Investments) kept the trailing commissions as we didn't have a broker listed.

I will be doing some more investing in some MF's in the near future and will be using them.

Sharon

10. _Sharon_

_Sharon_ Active Member

Oh, one downside that I don't like with them is that whenever I look at a fund the performance is shown as a total return figure for each year only. To get a breakup of income and growth I go to DirectAccess.

Sharon

11. islandgirl

islandgirl Well-Known Member

I've found the same Sharon. Direct Access seem to give me better information but Investsmart gives me the rebate etc. I just wish you didn't have to go to a hundred places to pull together information. It gets a bit time consuming.

12. _Sharon_

_Sharon_ Active Member

Hi Islandgirl,

Yes, it is a pain, I agree. I just got off the phone to InvestSmart and their hands are tried by the format of the information that comes to them from MorningStar. He did say that he would follow it up with them (again) to see about the possibility of that change.

Sharon

13. handyandy

handyandy Well-Known Member

Nearly word for word the response that I received from them. Obviously us customers want it so the 'smart' thing would be to implement it.:rolleyes:

Cheers

14. Bantam Roosta

Bantam Roosta Well-Known Member

Here to learn, I'm not sure if it would be what you are looking for, but I just use the inbuilt portfolio tracker in 'Microsoft Money'. You have to input the prices for the managed funds, but it automatically picks up share prices for you. It has everthing I need, but my needs are fairly simple and I don't know if it would do the job you require.

BR

15. Meggsy

Meggsy Well-Known Member

I also use Direct Access, I only have managed funds and it keeps track of them to my satisfaction - I also like the watchlist feature.