Join our investing community

Transitioning into Financial Planning

Discussion in 'Financial Planning' started by plan, 2nd Jun, 2010.

1. plan

plan Active Member

Hi

I'm trying to transition into Financial Planning. I have banking experience, but not in customer service. I have completed Diploma in Financial Services (Financial Planning) and have a degree - B.Commerce
    Just wondering whether anyone has tips to get into the FP industry. What worked for you, what Financial planners are looking for, can you get in without customer service? etc...

THANKS!

2. Sophi

Sophi Member

hi, I work for a financial planning firm, I am doing client services (while completing my DFP), and I think you don't need to have the CS experience to work for a financial planner. Look for a financial planning assistant or paraplanning role. My colleague is a paraplanner and he didn't have any CS experience. He knows the technical stuff and this works for us. Good luck :)

3. plan

plan Active Member

thanks for responding Sophi

Is it possible to get into a paraplanning role without experience within the financial planning sector? I have Financial Markets experience (finance dept), in FX, I/R products, Fixed income etc... will this count as 'relevant technical' experience?

Thanks

4. Sophi

Sophi Member

hi, I am really not sure, I think its depends on the individual company. You completed your DFP so you have a general knowledge of what a financial plan have to contain, look like. I would definitely start applying for jobs and on the interviews you'll get feedback of what employers are looking for.

5. Mel1776

Mel1776 Member

definately start applying for jobs in the industry - I went to an interview for a basic admin role and ended up a financial planning assistant (which was my goal in the first place) - I had started my DFP and now they are assisting me to complete it. Go out, show them what you want to do, and the right company will see your worth. I don't feel that the more qualifications you have, makes it easier to find that job - some employers prefer someone who will fit into the company over a qualification.