Trust Loan Documentation

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by BigStrawbs, 27th Nov, 2009.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. BigStrawbs

BigStrawbs Member

Hi All,

Does anyone have a proforma “loan” agreement I can use for the money I “loaned” my Trust?

Also, to ensure the above is an arms length agreement that will keep the ATO and the like happy, is there a formula I should be using for the interest rate (i.e. RBA cash rate + 200 points or similar)?

Thanks.

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Was the money you loaned to the trust from your cash holdings, or from money you personally borrowed?

You should generally not charge your trust interest - you should only ask it to cover your expenses. I can't remember the exact details (would have to ask my accountant), but I think there are some taxation reasons why you don't.

If the money was your own cash, it is an interest free loan

If the money was borrowed by you personally, you submit an expense claim to your trust for the interest costs (and any other costs) involved in lending it the money

3. BigStrawbs

BigStrawbs Member

Thanks

It was a loan from my personal bank account (ie cash holdings, not a personal or similar loan) for start-up costs that the "business" can now afford to pay back.

Thanks for the reply, as normal, that was very helpful.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.