Join our investing community

Typical fees for financial planners?

Discussion in 'Financial Planning' started by otherwiz, 18th Jun, 2013.

1. otherwiz

otherwiz New Member

My wife and I are looking at $3,000 up front plus $5,500 per annum to plan and manage our finances. We are going in with a few hundred thou in super and a smaller amount of shares. The plan revolves around a new super provider and tax reduction on super contributions, plus a transition-to-retirement instrument. Do these fees seem reasonable?

I don't want to be mean, and I'm sure I am underestimating what goes into this kind of service, but it isn't like we are getting weekly adjustments to our investment portfolio -- the super fund charges their own (apparently modest) fees, and the plan is obviously based on a tried and tested formula.

-- naive me

2. Terryw

Terryw Well-Known Member

Depends what you get for your money I guess. I am an estate planning lawyer in Sydney and work with a few fin planners. The fees charged tend to be around $3000 + for a financial plan and then another fee for ongoing advice and management of the investments. Some charge a fixed fee or some a % of total investments pa. but you want to make sure you are getting something worthwhile for you money and know what this will be.

If you want a second opinion I can put you in contact with a Sydney based planner.

3. otherwiz

otherwiz New Member

Thanks, Terry.

I would appreciate your referral as we may need to find a different planner. I've just realised that our guy's company is owned by the retail SuperAnnuation company he wants us to use, and that it is owned by a major bank. It all smells a bit, especially when the super fund's fees would be 3-4 times what I would pay if I rolled everything into one of the two funds I have now.

You can e-mail me at achmed71hr at yahoo dot com if you don't want to post your planner's details here.

4. Terryw

Terryw Well-Known Member

Otherwiz, that email didn't work, or I deciphered in incorrectly. I have sent you a private message.

5. Andrew Newman

Andrew Newman Well-Known Member

Hi Otherwiz

Make sure you receive conflict free advice, where your financial adviser should satisfy the following 3 criteria:

1. They don't have ownership links or affiliations with any product manufacturers. (I have read that about 80% of the financial planners in Australia are affiliated with a product manufacturer)

2. They don't receive commissions or incentive payments from investment products. (can be rebated)

3. They don't charge a percentage of your assets. (this is really a commission disguised as a fee).

Terry's comment "you want to make sure you are getting something worthwhile for you money and know what this will be" is spot on.

I am happy to provide you with a FREE super review and discuss strategy ideas that add value.

Kind Regards