UK show about developers

Discussion in 'Real Estate' started by Jacque, 17th Jan, 2006.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

A relative was telling me today about a programme on Foxtel (which we don't have) about a UK show which featured first time developers and was highly entertaining. Does anyone know which show this is?
    I'm not much of a TV watcher, but this really piqued my interest.
    Any Foxtel viewers out there?

2. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

Yep.... My other half is watching this programme (Property Ladder).
    I would say that some of them are more grotesque than entertaining.
    Eg:two chicks are trying to renovate old house for the first time and they are over budget %% and can not sell it after.
    Most of the people do not listen to good advice and send too much money on unnecessary things that do not sell houses for the asking price.
    Good fun but sometimes boring (for me). :D

3. ani

ani Guest

Yes seen it a few times at a friend's place.

Tropo has pretty much nailed it. None of them listen to the host who has done a development or twenty. She makes, I think, very sensible suggestions and tells them they are over capitalising but they ALL ignore her.

One installed about 20k of hi tech stuff in a place comparable to Rocky ......go figure! (Make that pounds!)

4. Jacque

Sounds entertaining :)
    I can imagine all those ppl overcapitalising and ignoring sound advice. There are way too many renovators in this world who have little idea of what the majority want.
    There was a house recently for sale out my way, with a canary yellow poly brand new kitchen. It also had pink and white striped walls and a dark navy living area. Yechhh!!!!! I notice it took a lonnnggg time to finally sell....
    I wonder why :eek:

5. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

I love Property Ladder, and the host Sarah Beeny :)

6. ani

ani Guest

7. Jacque

Thanks Ani :)
    Now all you've done is whet my appetite for more. Now who's got Foxtel so I can come over and watch?!!! :)

8. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

If you good looking you are always welcome in my place.
    It starts at 10.50pm tonight!!!

:D :D

9. Jacque

10.50pm?!! :eek:
    Good grief, man, I'm well asleep by then! Three children and working don't leave me enough time to be a night owl anymore :)
    And beauty is in the eye of the beholder. My website pic may not be my best but then again it's amazing what makeup can do!!

10. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

Jacque !!.
    Suprise!!!!!.You are very good looking girl !!!!!!!!!!. :D :D
    I must talk to Foxtel crew to definitally change the time - becasue my other half is asleep as well. !!!. :eek:
    :cool:

11. perky

perky Well-Known Member

There are some other good shows (apart from property ladder which we love) on Lifestyle Channel - they all seem to be made by channel 4 in Britain.
    Grand Designs , Selling Houses are a couple more that come to mind.
    Although they are not aussie shows, they still have some pretty good advice.

12. Jacque

How are you getting time to watch all these gems Perky?
    Making me jealous ;)
    I expect summaries of these on upcoming threads then :D

13. perky

perky Well-Known Member

The new series of Property Ladder was on last night at 730pm.
    Looks like they are now showing 2 couples per program...the difference last night between the two couples could could not have been any more different.

On one hand you had a couple who bought in a suburban location - and tried to fix up an art deco house. Purchase price was 240k (pounds), budget was 40k. They were told a pitched roof would fit in to this location better, and would not listen to any advice from Sara (the female was absolutely full of herself - thought she knew it all). They ended up spending 118k on the renovation from extra things like 19k for new windows as the old ones were in shocking condition....and the female spent an enormous amount of money on items within the house (such as 2k for a square toilet when a 500 pund one would have worked).
    The agents advised 320k was the best possible price they could get. So would have been a loss of 25k. That made me laugh. They ended up saying they would live there till the market picked up......will be a long time!!

The 2nd couple bought a two storey house in a beachside location for 320k. They spent a little over their 70k budget - 127k . However what they did for the money was good. They built on the side of the house an extension upstairs and downstairs - upstairs a beautiful bedroom with ensuite and water views...downstairs they were going to make a loungeroom but Sara advised to put in a new kitchen / living area instead (this also had water views) - and they did as she said. Put a deck in, plus landscaping.
    The house went in the 1st week - for 550k - a 100k or so profit. Wonderful result.

PS I taped it for you Jacque.

14. Muz

Muz Member

I love Sarah

Hi Everyone,

I also watched last night.

I love Sarah :D - she is sooooooooooo knowledgable and diplomatic trying to convince people who haven't done their research that what they are planning to do will be a waste of money etc. :)

Like the new format with the 2 couples, and the current timeslot (kids are in bed) :p

Last edited by a moderator: 9th Feb, 2006
  15. perky

perky Well-Known Member

My 10 and 9 year old enjoy watching this program....bit much for the 4 yr old though...so he goes to bed early !!

16. MichaelW

MichaelW Well-Known Member

Perky,

Can I borrow it when Jacque's done with it? :D Some of us can't afford cable... :( :eek:

Cheers,
    Michael.

17. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

Oi! I saw her first! ;)

18. perky

perky Well-Known Member

Asif !!!
    On your 6 figure salary (and your wifes) :)
    Yeah, you can borrow it after Jacque :D

19. Nigel Ward

Nigel Ward Well-Known Member

Or more correctly do some of us just choose NOT to get cable. :)

Perhaps there's another category...who are just to @#$%ing tight to get it! :p

Cheers
    N.

20. MichaelW

MichaelW Well-Known Member

Ouch, that hurt! :eek: ;)

OK, maybe I just CHOOSE not to get cable... Can't see the value in the expenditure myself...

Cheers,
    Michael.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia