Managed Funds US Fund

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by Alan__, 4th May, 2006.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. TwoDogs

TwoDogs Well-Known Member

Unit price is at a nice discount at present for sure (maybe cheaper later, mabe not) and I'm tempted to purchase more units. But, the US fund is still a bit of an unknown. Any hints on distributions ?

2. Alan__

Alan__ Well-Known Member

Also the Chief Currency strategist at Westpac was now saying that the Oz $ looks like it will go below 74c because of the "aggressive liquidation mode towards all things commodity-based".

That should roughly put it back to the US Fund start date rate and hence give us a glimpse of performance without the currency complication.

Isn't it crazy? A couple of weeks ago the news articles were talking about dollar parity and commodity booms that would go on almost for ever! :eek:

Last night I was reading about police on suicide watch in India because of all the Stockbrokers they feared would take their own lives due to India's 'own 10% fluctuations.

Note to self:
    A couple of weeks in the stockmarket can be a VERY long time!! :rolleyes:

3. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

"Isn't it crazy? A couple of weeks ago the news articles were talking about dollar parity and commodity booms that would go on almost for ever!"
    Alan,

No matter what you read apply logic, common sense and Mixed Spice ...
    AUD/USD is around 0.7528 now. So....still a very long way to parity :cool:

4. Smartypants

Smartypants Well-Known Member

Good to see the U.S fund in positive territory again. Hopefully this will continue, lets keep our fingers crossed

5. Smartypants

I spoke too soon :( .

Hopefully, better days just around the corner

6. Alan__

Alan__ Well-Known Member

Hi Smarty.

If it's any consolation, at least it's a slight outperformance of the actual Dow.

7. Takestock

Takestock Well-Known Member

Whilst I understand the excitement of being involved in a relatively new managed fund, I think it is unnecessary to follow it on a daily basis - this can lead to emotional highs and lows that can cloud your investing judgement. Give it some time; let it blossom.:)

8. TryHard

TryHard Well-Known Member

Sound advice that can be applied equally well to relationships ;-)

9. TwoDogs

I'll know how well my relationship with Navra US has blossomed when I get some ;) . Distributions that is.

Then I'll know if I want a second date.

10. Barracuda

Barracuda Member

Where's the fun in that? You put enough money in to buy a european sports car (or two) and don't even get to play with it?

Me - I log into all my accounts morning and evening to see the pretty pictures go up and down. Would love to press the buy/sell button more often, but do resist it.

I wish property values for IP's were trackable daily.....

11. Nigel Ward

Nigel Ward Well-Known Member

Yeah why waste your time with a fund that doesn't put out?! ;) :D :p

12. TryHard

TryHard Well-Known Member

In my experience, its AFTER you get some, that your judgment gets really clouded !! ;-) Although I assume after the Navra US fund gives you some, it won't ask for a Gold Card and the opportunity to redecorate your house :p

13. Takestock

But a sports car is designed to be played with; it needs to be taken to its limits, it wants to test the laws of physics, and it needs to be constantly caressed and cared for!;)

In contrast, I think of a long term investment more as a good bottle of red wine. You purchase it, then put it away in a secure place. It needs to be left alone (vibration can disturb a red wine's sediment) so that it can mature gracefully without distraction. All the time, you can feel snug knowing that it is increasing in value and that the wait will eventually be worth it! Sure, occasionally sneek down to the cellar and take a peek; just don't do it too often as the light can cause aromatic changes.

14. TwoDogs

Nice analogy, but really Navra funds are the sports car, they aren't there for much growth but the income is fast and exciting.

I polish the unit prices every day. :p

Long term growth funds like CFS geared or Platinum, I hope they turn out to be my Grange.

15. Takestock

I'll drink to that!;)

16. Smartypants

Does that mean that if the fund outperforms the Dow but stays in negative territory that unit holders pay a performance fee but receive no distribution? :eek:

17. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Distributions are calculated from trading profits.

Unit price (and hence performance) is calculated based on asset value.

It is possible to have a negative performance, yet still be making profits, and thus distributions.

Negative performance simply means that the capital value of your investment is falling - and while profits are impacted by a falling market (there will likely be trading losses incurred as they buy in) - it doesn't necessarily mean that there will be no net income at the end of quarter.

18. Smartypants

Thank you for the clarification Sim

Our clients are global and know we are property tax professionals. Our advisers are qualified and experienced and we don't outsource. We can help with complex CGT, Income Tax, and Developer issues. Property is our speciality incl Trusts, Co and SMSF