Valuation

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by jrc77, 5th Mar, 2009.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. jrc77

jrc77 Well-Known Member

I need to get a valuation done on my place and am looking for a low cost certified valuer ... anyone got any recommendations? Am in Sydney metro area.

Regards,

Jason

2. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Hi Jason

Try Herron Todd White- used them before with no problems. Big firm with over 500 valuers Oz wide.
    Best of luck

3. jrc77

jrc77 Well-Known Member

Jacque,

Thanks for the response - I tried them but their quote ($495) was quite a bit higher than some others. For future reference (if anyone comes across this thread), I have ended up paying $220. This is on a place worth approx $475k. The prices I found ranged from $220 to $500 for a certified valuation for submission to OSR.

Regards,

Jason

4. Jacque

Great price Jason! So do you mind sharing the details of the valuer?
    How did you find them?

5. jrc77

jrc77 Well-Known Member

Am using Addisons - "http://www.addval.com.au". I found them through the wonders of Google :)

6. BillV

BillV Well-Known Member

jrc77
    good find, I don't think there is a cheaper 1 :)
    cheers

7. jrc77

jrc77 Well-Known Member

It was a very pleasant experience with them as well - I rang up on Thursday afternoon, they inspected 9am on Friday and I had soft copy of the report at lunch time on Friday. Hardcopy is in the mail.

Not happy with the valuation price - but I don't think I can blame them for market conditions :)

Regards,

Jason

Last edited by a moderator: 7th Mar, 2009
  8. BillV

BillV Well-Known Member

Jason
    What did you want the valuation for?
    maybe you should try for another 1?
    My brother had to pay for 3 valuations when he was transfering a property to his kids

9. jrc77

jrc77 Well-Known Member

It's for a related party transfer. I was dissappointed with the value but it doesn't affect the transaction at all.

Regards,

Jason

10. Jacque

Well that's ok then Jason. Glad you got good value for money. I'll add them to my list :)

I remember one valuation that I disputed several yrs ago now, when it came in lower than anticipated (and I needed it higher). When I read the entire report there were glowing anomalies and non-comparable sales quoted which I was able to back up with more recent and better sales- worked in my favour, and the valuer rang up, apologised, and re-did the valuation for me at a much more acceptable figure. They are currently being very cautious, and rightly so in such unpredictable times.

11. try anything once

try anything once Well-Known Member

If the figure provided in the valuation makes any impact from a tax perspective, then it is probably bets to get at least 3 valuations and choose the "best" one. Even at $500 each the fees would normally be dwarfed by the potential tax savings (in my experience).