Value investing in oz

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by alexdent, 12th May, 2008.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. alexdent

alexdent New Member

i know this is an old thread. but its very interesting to read peoples thoughts on value investing..

ive read a few books on the concept and what the fustrating thing is, is that they never give you enough information to be able to do it yourself, and its hard to find a value investor with good performance in australia.

i was lucky enough however to get taught how to value a firm using all the techniques of value investing... this sparked a massive interest to me and being a masters grad, wanted to work a company which uses similar styles

however i am very dissapointed to find just how little value investing is adopted in aust, and how impossible it was for me to find companies who use it.. i think clime where the only one i could find. subsequently had to pull out of that application cos they took so dam long

anyhow, just wanted to express my opinions on the subject, and would appreciate any input as to who and what companies call themselves 'value investors'

2. Nigel Ward

Nigel Ward Well-Known Member

Hi Alex and welcome on board!

Can you share some of that analytical skill with us?

Apart from Clime, I think Investors Mutual (Anton Tagliaferro) and Maple Brown Abbot may be funds which employ value approach.

3. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

4. AsxBroker

AsxBroker Well-Known Member

Hi Alex,

Perpetual and Tyndall are also value managers.

Cheers,

Dan

5. alexdent

alexdent New Member

thanks guys! i appreciate the time taken to reply to my thread.. ive written those company's down and will look into it come 12 months when im looking to change jobs..

Nigel...as for the analytical stuff, well there's obviously theres alot to it, and im no pro thats for sure (only just graduated) so i wouldnt really listen to me. However i have valued 3 or 4 company's during the course with a mark of 98% so if you have any specific questions then i can do my best to answer it..

6. Nigel Ward

Nigel Ward Well-Known Member

Great marks - well done!

How about walking us all through some of the valuation methodologies you've used?

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia