Join our investing community

Vanguard economic and market outlook for 2018

Discussion in 'The Economy' started by twisted strategies, 21st Dec, 2017.

1. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

Martin73 likes this.
  2. Martin73

Martin73 Member

@twisted strategies Thanks - good read. I know they would say that but I liked the line:

Rather, our market outlook underscores the need for investors to remain disciplined and globally diversified, armed with realistic return expectations and low-cost strategies.

Possibly some confirmation bias on my behalf :)

twisted strategies likes this.
  3. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

my problem is i found too few good international investments in the early bull market ( post 2011 ) i have since picked up JHG and INM ( and am still considering WFD now the take-over is in play )

but don't be fooled by the hype keeping discipline is tough ( and everyone has a medium or high cost solution for you )

i have previously held IEM but they weren't doing enough , so i exited at modest profit .

NZ has been my main recent focus , as China becomes easier the understand some cash might go there .

( imo) going after big name international companies is fraught with it's own risks ( as it is had to find the dark secrets when in a foreign land )

for example i have an implant from Abbot Laboratories

Abbott Laboratories - Wikipedia

FDA Warns on Abbott's St. Jude Pacemakers and Defibrillators

luckily mine is not an electronic device , but am now on '3 years 'medical watch ' as the 'cure ' becomes increasingly more dangerous over the next 3 years ( so far ).

what is particularly odious over the St. Jude affair , is Abbott allies leaked the flaws into the market to crush the St Jude share price , so as to acquire the company cheaply ( and Abbott then after acquisition continued to ship flawed devices , claiming the risk is low !!! )