ETF Vanguard Index Funds

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by TopsideSoul, 29th Oct, 2007.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. TopsideSoul

TopsideSoul New Member

I'm thinking about taking my first investment step with a Vanguard index fund, more specifically the Australian Shares and the Property Securities funds. Can anyone comment on these funds? Are there alternatives in Australia? It doesn't seem like most people bother with index funds and go for an actively managed fund instead. It'd be good to hear from people who have had personal experience with index funds, especially those offered by Vanguard.

2. FrankGrimes

FrankGrimes Well-Known Member

I used to use Vanguard and found them excellent. Low fees, good customer service etc.

I only changed because I personally found it an effort filling out the margin lending forms every time I wanted to make and investment. Whereas with listed managed investments you can buy sell with a couple of clicks of a mouse through an online broker. This is only my personal opinion and this may not bother you.

Main alternative would be streettracks (SPDRs). Lower MER than Vanguard but less fund offerings. You can just buy and sell through any stock broker. Very easy and effective.

3. Rod_WA

Rod_WA Well-Known Member

I agree with Frank. SPDRs are a very practical alternative.

I have Vanguard High Yield Aust Shares, and have been very happy with this. The reporting is good, the literature is a good read, phone and email customer service is excellent, and HYAS distribution yield is very decent (although it is about half capital gains, half franked dividends).
    I have no intention of selling my Vanguard lot.

If I was starting from scratch, though, I'd probably lean towards an ETF like the SPDR over the ASX200, since the fees are a bit lower.

Can't comment on the Property funds though.

4. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

I've got a couple of Vanguard funds and they've done really well.

If I had my time again (which I will in a year when I start again!), I'll go for ASX code "STW".

As mentioned it's a low cost index tracker.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia