Join our investing community

Vertical Blinds

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by DaveA, 19th Oct, 2007.

1. DaveA

DaveA Well-Known Member

While probably not directly linked to investing (except via presentation), i need some blinds for my new unit.

The windows are fairly large (3.45mx2.6m) so could anyone give us a recommendation of someone they have used recently.

There seems to be a few internet suppliers as well as the usual old krestra and vista blinds but id imagine all thier blinds would be similar (i hope).

Also has anyone got verticals and chosen between 127cm and 97cm width? Have they both been around for as long as each other or is one newer?

2. handyandy

handyandy Well-Known Member

When I recently did a phone around I found Sydney Blinds out at Prospect to be the best price.

With all the blinds I have bought over the years from many different supplier I have never found a real difference in the quality, as the quality will very much depend on the material you select for the blades.

For the latest situation we ended up getting them through a local supplier rather than hiking all the way over to Prospect. Ended up costing $80 more than Sydney Blinds. The widths were 4.3, 3.4, and 3.6 all with 2.4 drops at a total cost of $1070.

As far as the widths of the blades the 97mm ones are a more recent addition to the range. The problem with them in our context is that there are more blades and as a result take up more space when fully opened. As we wanted to minimize the impact of the blinds on the view we stayed with the wider ones.

Cheers

3. Jacque

Jacque Team InvestEd

Another option to consider, comparative price-wise, is holland or roller blinds. They simply pull down to close and are far easier to maintain than vertical blinds, as verticals can dislodge and the little fiddly clips can break, so you end up with ugly gaps in the line- like missing teeth ;)

I've installed hollands in IP's and PPOR's and found them fine- only issue is chain breakage (pay more for stronger chains made of metal if you can) and a tendency for the rolltab mechanism to stop working as effectively after a no. of years (depends on usage and care of operator). You can always look for a manufacturer who offers a long warranty to cover this, however I would say that a holland blind probably has a life of about 10yrs max in a rental situation. Also look for fabric that has non-fray edges.

I got mine from Accent and Wynstan and both have been fine. Best of luck with whatever you choose.

4. Billv

Billv Getting there

I haven't tried Wynstan but have bought blinds from Accent for one of my IP's and found them very average.

The folding mechanism would often get stuck and all blinds had the same problem. For example I could use the chain to close the drapes and then sometimes I couldn't open them easily.

My last tenant got frustrated with this problem and broke one of the blinds.
    Also, many of the plastic clips they used to hold the drapes broke.

Cheers
    Bill

Last edited by a moderator: 19th Oct, 2007
  5. DaveA

DaveA Well-Known Member

thanks guys,

i think the wider blinds will be better, i didnt think about the bunching up... the other half wants verticals, where as i wouldnt mind something else but vertical it is...

thanks for the tip on syd blinds, where thinking about getting kresta out to do their free measure and quote (and also use their samples to determine the colour we want), and then using their measurments as i dont trust my measuring, we were also thinking about paying a pro to install them just for simplicity and so we dont screw them.

I have also seen verticals recently which done have any weights at the bottom so you dont have the issue with the teeth, i do know how frustrating it is with the ones at home...

So far the internet quotes have come back at around $700 for 3 blinds (346cm, 310cm and 140cm all with 260cm drops).

Also i knew of accent not wyantan though, thanks...