Join our investing community

Wake Up And Smell The Downturn

Discussion in 'The Economy' started by Chris C, 1st Apr, 2009.

1. Chris C

Chris C Well-Known Member

Business Spectator - Wake up and smell the downturn - Alan Kohler

Last edited by a moderator: 1st Apr, 2009
  2. Billv

Billv Getting there

I say the same thing as well
    when will it begin and what economic crisis?
    It's only an economic dowturn and mostly because of fear

3. AsxBroker

AsxBroker Well-Known Member

Hi BV,

I agree with you. Though there are far too many scared people who don't understand...Self-fulfilling prophecy!

..."Geithner said yesterday in a Bloomberg Television interview that there are “encouraging signs” that financial markets are recovering and praised international efforts to counter the economic crisis."

Stocks Rise Around the World on Economy; Treasuries, Yen Drop - Bloomberg.com

Cheers,

Dan

4. Jacque

Jacque Team InvestEd

Oh how public sentiment induces fear....
    We really are sheep at times aren't we?

5. Billv

Billv Getting there

Let's say we are good followers :D

6. AsxBroker

AsxBroker Well-Known Member

Bbaahh!

(marginally better than being a lemming)

7. Chris C

So I guess you all seemed to have missed the critical message that Alan very stealthy hid in the title of the article:

Wake Up And Smell The Downturn!

:D

I think the better question is not whether we as the Australia public are sheep, it is whether we are lambs heading to the slaughter house...

8. lorrimer

lorrimer Well-Known Member

I used to read the Business Spectator religiously every day. However recently I have become sick of the negative tone of every article they publish. Sure things are not good, but there are a few promising signs beginning to emerge. House prices here in the UK were up 0.9% in March for the first time since 2007 for example. It's about time the media started talking about the positive things that are happening rather than the negative things that could happen.

9. Billv

Billv Getting there

lorrimer
    Very good point there and when that happens, Chris will change his tune as well...;)

10. Chris C

I don't like the media at the best of times, but you guys keep going on about the real problem being "people aren't positive enough" but that just proves that the system is VERY broken.

I won't go on with a 4 page rant like I normally do because I'm getting over the whole wearing my heart on my sleeve thing (too much effort is required on my part) and would rather just leave everyone to be the masters of their own destinies, but for me I don't care if market finds new confidence in ignorance because the system will still be based on sentiment and credit growth rather than production and hard work and ultimately reality would bite again in the not too distant future.

My happiness and sentiment is not derived from a stock market level or house price growth; mine is derived from knowing that we operate in a system that is fair and equitable that is driven by simple realities rather than mass illusion. I know this is distant and maybe unrealistic dream, but I will cling to hope for the sake of others and my own sanity...