Warren Buffett

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by Tropo, 9th Jan, 2013.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

Warren Buffett

Attached Files:

2. aschwarz

aschwarz New Member

Interesting read and I think you make some valid points. I actually joined this forum to ask some questions regarding hybrids but I came across this and as an admirer of warren buffet I thought I could throw in my 2 cents.

I think you could honestly use charts and statistics to just as easily show that buffet IS the greatest investor of all time. $1 invested in Berkshire since its purchase by buffet would yield a return greater than just about any other investment out there. Adding to the point; buffet himself would readily admit that the returns of Berkshire during its early years are not sustainable, and that, contrary to what you have said, high returns are more easily achieved with small sums of money than with the massive fortunes that Berkshire has to invest in order to move the dial. The relatively low returns of Berkshire shares since the 90s demonstrate this.

I'm not saying he's the greatest investor in the world, just that you could use the numbers either way, depending how you present them.

I do think you're right in pointing out that much of his recent ventures, even his earlier ones, cannot be imitated by the average investor. Rather, I see buffet as serving as an example of the success that the teachings of Benjamin Graham can bring to those with the patience and fortitude to really achieve value investing. I've only been at it for 2 years so my returns are hardly demonstration of anything, in 20 years we'll see if I'm just a chump or not I suppose!

3. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

Trade Like Warren Buffett

Trade Like Warren Buffett

Attached Files:

4. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Hi Tropo,

It look like they are just using the Dow, rather than the Dow + Dividends such as with an accumulation index?

5. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

6. jodie123

jodie123 Active Member

Always a good idea to listen to what the experts have to say - and they don't get more expert than Warren Buffett.