Weighting of ASX 200

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by DaveA__, 24th Jun, 2008.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. DaveA__

DaveA__ Well-Known Member

I know this is probably a pretty out there question but ill go anyway.

Is the weighting of the asx *** listed anywhere? Im looking for any of the asx' but would love to start with the ASX 200 and potential ASX 20. Ive read the S&P document on how the weighting is calculated but im still stuck trying to calculate it myself.

I know in basic share reserach (ie comsec) it has a listing which says the weighting of the share to each index but i would love to find that S&P or someone produces a list of stocks and their weighting. Rather than me having to individual pull each number. Ive also been through datanalysis and finanalysis and ibis world and have come up black (list wise).

Otherwise does anyone know where you can this the individual listing from somewhere that doesnt require a password? Ie so i can get an excel sheet to automatically grab the numbers for me...

Ive done a basic google search but Im not sure where to start looking for such data.

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

3. DaveA__

thanks Sim, only issue is it includes cash which throws off all the weighted %s. but that list is very helpful so thanks

Ive done an anylisis on the asx 20 (attached) which shows 3 big differences from the estimated weighting (from market cap) to the weighting attached, so im just trying to work out why these are different. It shouldnt be because one stock has performed better than the other as this should change the weighting (which is why im looking to get excel to grab it for me).

Any other thoughts?

Attached Files:

4. DaveA__

5% there

i noticed on the index tab it lists the top 10 of the asx 200 so atleast ive got something to start with now....

cheers

5. Nigel Ward

Nigel Ward Well-Known Member

Taken from daveA's link.

I knew financials were a significant part of the index but I thought it was more like a quarter than a third!!!

Sector% of Total Assets
    Financials 33.44
    Materials 29.71
    Energy 8.30
    Consumer Staples 8.07
    Industrials 6.43
    Telecommunication Services 4.85
    Consumer Discretionary 4.03
    Health Care 3.20
    Utilities 1.49
    Information Technology 0.43
    Unassigned 0.03