What business are you into?

Discussion in 'Starting & Running a Business' started by Triu, 20th Jul, 2007.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Triu

Triu Well-Known Member

Hi everyone just wanted to ask a few people what business they are into. My Wife and I are currently looking at buying a existing business with good cashflow so we can build up our property portfolio and Manged Funds etc.

I am stuck with what business is out there that is a good husband and wife business.

any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. crc_error

crc_error The Rule of 72

Mcdonalds is a good business.. large cash flow! :eek:

3. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Not always - there are plenty of cases where they have gone out of business because the franchise costs are astronomical, as are the capital costs to get in.

Gone are the days where you were guaranteed an exclusive territory for your franchise - in many large cities now there are multiple stores within a block or two of each other.

4. seaview

seaview Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I don't know much about business, although I was once an Avon lady :) however I think it depends largely on how much start up capital you have and how much time you have to invest in the business.

I am assuming since you want to use the business to raise funds, that you may not have much start up capital.
    Another thing to consider is if you have some unique skill, product or service which can satisfy the demand of a market near you.

One idea is to contact the local chamber of commerce/small business association who usually give advice about starting up a business in an area.

Of course, if you are a computer whiz, then there are tons of opportunities to make passive income while you sleep by doing things on-line. (eg write an e-book, internet marketing etc )

One idea which we investigated ages ago was buying vending machines, preferably 2nd hand ones, as new ones are very pricey. These do not take much time and often give a good return. There are probably some threads on that very topic here, or maybe on Somersoft forum.

Well, that is my 2 bobs worth. ... except to remind you that something like 4 out of 5 businesses fail, so please do your homework first i.e. identify what product/service is needed in your target area and work out how to provide it so you can actually make a profit, and hopefully enjoy yourselves too.

Good luck
    Seaview

5. MattR

MattR Well-Known Member

I have a carpet cleaning client who bought into a new franchise level a few years ago for a very cheap price. He's a pretty good operator and has got it ticking along pretty nicely now.