What do I do?

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Longjeans, 30th Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Longjeans

Longjeans Member

Hello & best regards to all.

I probably should've started in the Introduction section of this forum, but, in view of my circumstances, I thought it best to start in this area.

I'm 47 years of age, single with no wife nor children. I've been declared permanently disabled and unable to work. Thankfully, I had income insurance in place which provides a reasonable amount of money each year. My gross income is circa $120,000 from the income insurance which is my only source of income (no shares etc). This is indexed to increase 5% each year and I'm responsible for the taxation.

I have also received a modest legal settlement of $580,000. I'm very unhappy with my settlement (can't discuss as it was one of those "confidential agreements"), but, I'm thinking of engaging lawyers to review my case and the manner in which it was run. Nothing I can do about why I sued, but, might be able to sue lawyers for breaching a few things and not acting in my best interests.

I don't need 24/7 care, but, I do pay to have my house cleaned and other smaller jobs done that I could've done myself. Biggest expense would be my animals (dogs and cats).

I have a mortgage that's 50% fixed and 50% variable, with about $120,000 left to pay off. I have an offset account. My savings are around the $150,000 (to pay some tax). House has been appraised as making $400,000 maybe a bit more if I chose to sell. Not looking to sell or move. I hate mentioning this, but, I've got inheritance that's around $500,000 - not counting or calculating on a death, but, it's a reality, sadly.

I haven't lodged a tax return in 5 years. This isn't an attempt to run away from my obligations. The tax office is aware of my circumstances and I'm trying to obtain a lot of documentation to lodge my returns.

Being constantly high on morphine has an affect on my memory. I imagine the cocktail of pain killers I'm prescribed also has an affect.

Can anyone please suggest what they would do in my circumstances by way of suggesting an investment strategy? I'm loath to use "financial planners."

I know that my taxation is an issue, but, since Dec 2009, I had a number of serious operations that leaves me wrecked and with no idea as to how I should manage my money.

I live a very simple lifestyle (because of my disability) so, overseas travel and having the life of Riley isn't really something I want to do. I'm happy being somewhat frugal existence. I don't drink anymore and I don't gamble. I do spend a bit of money on a hobby though.

If anyone has the time to please respond with their thoughts, I'd greatly appreciate your time in doing so.

Best regards

LJ.

2. Longjeans

Longjeans Member

What do I do

Crickey, no replies, but 107 views?

I guess my troubles are beyond ideas.

Thanks anyway and cheers. :)

LJ

3. jrc

jrc Well-Known Member

Chronic illness and pain can be very debilitating and the medications can also affect you.
    Try to get the tax sorted. If yiu are having trouble getting information, maybe see an accountant and authorise them to obtain it.
    After you get the tax sorted, then look at some low fee managed index funds eg Vanguard.
    Think about organising a will and a power of attorney
    Good luck