Join our investing community

What do you about Platinum Japan fund

Discussion in 'Managed Funds & Index Funds' started by tropic, 26th Sep, 2006.

1. tropic

tropic Well-Known Member

I like to know if anyone has this fund?
    I has gone up a lot lately and Japan had (has) been in economic decline in the last decade or so.
    The concern that I have is the population downturn, but that is maybe too far away to worry.
    Other option is to top up my Internatonal fund since I already have enough Asia fund for now.

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Co-founder Staff Member

Is the Asia fund you mentioned the Platinum Asia fund ? That fund doesn't invest in Japan.

The Platinum International Fund has quite a bit of exposure to Japan, as does the Platinum International Brands fund.

Interestingly, the Japan fund also invests in Korea.

The Japan fund has been very volatile (down over 10% since earlier this year). I bought in over a 6 month period starting at the beginning of March, and my total returns (including income) is currently about -3.3% based on yesterday's prices.

I put it in the "speculative" category ... don't over-allocate to this fund, but might be worth having some in there to try and catch some of the recovering Japanese economy.

If you already have large exposure to either the International or International Brands fund, then you already have a reasonable exposure to Japan.

3. tropic

tropic Well-Known Member

Thanks Sim for you opinion.

After reading this reaseach
    http://www.amp.com.au/display/file/...?filename=28+-+Mega+themes++-+OI+#28+2006.pdf

it seems to imply that developed countries like Japan will only have small growth prospect. Perhaps Japan will not be as dominant/important in term of world economy as it used to be? Am I reading this right?

It is only a research but I have to base my investment outlook from something.

I also like to ask another question related to taxation.
    If I switch my investment account eg. Platinum international fund to Platinum Asia fund within 12 months, am I subjected to a profit/loss instead of capital gain/loss?

4. Simon Hampel

I certainly wouldn't be investing in the Japanese economy, however, there are still a good number of large Japanese companies which play in a global market (especially the car and electronics manufacturers) - and I think these will continue to do well provided that they can manage costs by offshoring to take advantage of cheaper production in China and India and other developing nations.

Funnily enough it wasn't all that long ago that the Japanese were outsourcing to Korea for manufacturing, and now the Koreans outsource to China !!

I'm happy to have some exposure to Japan as a small part of my overall portfolio.

5. tropic

tropic Well-Known Member

I think I might have to rethink if I should go for international fund instead.
    Thanks.

6. Simon Hampel

I like both the Platinum International and Platinum International Brands funds