What Is Everyone's Position At The Moment?

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by Chris C, 3rd Mar, 2009.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Chris C

Chris C Well-Known Member

I was just interested to know what position everyone on these forums is currently holding in regards to their investments and assets.

I have mentioned it a few time already on these forums already, but for te sake of this thread - I'm heavily in gold and cash at the moment and currently have my IP up for sale.

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I deleveraged my sharemarket portfolio (managed funds) at the beginning of last year, and now only have a small holding via my SMSF (which is mostly in cash too).

I'm holding onto my real estate - it's happily paying for itself at the moment. I might look at selling one of my properties to free up some capital for other purposes though (see below).

Otherwise, I'm in cash - and (unfortunately) likely will be for quite some time due to personal circumstances. I'd love to be looking for bargains (although by my preferred indicators, there aren't any in the sharemarket yet - but I think give it another 3 months and the signals will start becoming more interesting).

Most of my efforts right now are focussed on building my business income - and I will be drawing on capital as required for that in the short term, rather than investing it elsewhere - I see better returns available by investing in me than in any other asset class right now.

3. gazza

gazza Well-Known Member

Chris

When you say 'you are in gold', can you elaborate? Gold mining company shares? Bullion?

Gazza

4. Chris C

Chris C Well-Known Member

I have roughly 70% of my exposure to gold in the "GOLD" EFT, and the remaining 30% in Sino Gold Mining (SGX).

If the sale of my IP goes through I will probably consider buying some physical gold and silver coins from the perth mint.

That said, I imagine I will keep most of the proceeds from the sale of my IP in cash, because I think we might start to see very cheap stocks once we get into the second half of 2009. So I'm planning on holding a cash position that will allow me to start dollar cost averaging in when I think things are looking more positive.

5. bigbuddha

bigbuddha Active Member

I have basically bought $300,000 worth of australian bank shares.

pretty evenly split amongst the big four banks, with a slight tilt to WBC.

I bought the shares at about where the market prices stand as of today 04 march 2009.

Each of these banks to me at least look like they are currently trading at good discounts to instinsic value, plus the good fully franked dividends helps.

ANZ is trading at below it's book value per share and NAB is probably the most heavily discounted of the four majors at the moment.

I could be wrong, hopefully i'm not, valuations are a hard thing to get right, hey even Buffet gets it wrong, so ...

6. tropic

tropic Well-Known Member

I am keeping my IP (only one) and my shares portfolio is now 100% geared (might be slightly more than 100% now). It was only 40% geared 15 months ago.
    Since I have gone this far I will continue holding and on the same time reducing my borrowing. I will buy some shares when the market showing sign of SOLID turn around.
    I will also likely fix the loan in few months times.

7. dudek

dudek Well-Known Member

I am definitely holding my IPs for longer, getting into shares later this year. Perhaps even increase my funds by LVR my IPs. Same with cash in my Super, I am waiting to enter share market.

8. BillV

BillV Well-Known Member

I've made 4 Big decisions this year.
    1. Created my SMSF
    2. I'm buying my first IP within my SMSF
    3. I've decided that I am not buying any more IP's outside super.
    4. I'm no longer buying large amounts of shares outside Super (I will lend to my SMSF if and when required)

Properties
    When interest rates were going up I was getting ready to sell 1 of my IP's and to reduce my exposure but things didn't turn up as I expected them and interest rates started to fall so I am now keeping it :D
    My other IP's were not negatively geared by much so I wasn't worried about them.
    I am not buying any more IP's (outside super)

Shares
    My shares outside super are all over the place.
    I am keeping what I have and I'll continue buying my employer's shares monthly

Superannuation:
    All my funds have been in cash since Nov 07 and are now being spent on a deposit for my 1st IP within my SMSF.
    This IP will be positive geared so my monthly super contributions plus my salary sacrifice component, will be invested in shares.
    Having no negatively geared investments I will be paying a lot of tax so I'm increasing my salary sacrifice into super to get the tax benefits and to grow my share portfolio within my SMSF.

PPOR
    My current plan is to concentrate on maintaining a healthy balance in my PPOR's offset account.

9. try anything once

try anything once Well-Known Member

Total assets excluding PPOR (no debt) is as follows:

I have about 30% in Super - currently invested in "conservative" bias - cash/fixed interest

I have disc trust with about 35% cash (earning about 4.5%) and 4% in STW (ASX 200 index).

The undersireable imbalance in my portfolio at the moment is that the remaining 31% of my portfolio is in the form of Resources exposure via my employee share scheme holding. Unfortunately most of this is currently unvested (so i can't sell it) - they will vest progressvely over the next 4 years.

Am thinking of adding approx 5% gold exposure via GOLD ETF. I also like the idea of banks, but am concerned that if real estate prices lose another 10-15% the banks may develop some home grown subprime problems

10. BillV

BillV Well-Known Member

IMO Resources exposure can be a good thing long term.
    Is the vesting date set by the purchase date and how long do you have to keep them for?

11. try anything once

try anything once Well-Known Member

they were awarded on a 5 year vesting period. Approx 1/4 of holding vests each of next 4 Augusts. Can sell them immediately after vest/excercise.

12. Tim__

Tim__ Well-Known Member

My position is:

Super - continuing to contibute to my defined benefit fund, which together with my previous defined benefit fund is doing well

Property - sold off 4 out of 16 properties due to major cash flow problem (see below). Continuing to hold remaining 12 properties and borrowing to do so, though slowly reducing the amount I need to borrow to do this. All properties keeping their values mostly due to lower end well located units.

Shares - Lost well over $100k and this created cash flow problems. Have continued to try trading in shares and have been burnt a few times.

Overall I am now down about 10% since the beginning of the GFC

Still asset rich but feeling the pinch cash flow wise

Tim

13. jrc77

jrc77 Well-Known Member

Holding managed funds even though they have taken a flogging. Changed plans for working/holiday overseas to a three month world trip to avoid my fiancee and myself from resigning from full time jobs at the middle of the GFU. Looking for discount travel options :)

Regards,

Jason

14. Chris.R_WA

Chris.R_WA Well-Known Member

What's the U stand for ??

Or is this a new acronym for Global **** Up...? :)

15. jrc77

jrc77 Well-Known Member

You got it :)

16. Martyvee

Martyvee Member

I'm in:

Gold shares
    Energy shares
    Physical silver
    Cash (trying to grow this still)

Banks scare me still Bigbuddha, so I avoid them! Of course US ones much more than ours, although their (Aus. bank) exposure to commercial property concerns me also. Residential may also not be as safe as we all think. What happens when the demand brought forward by FHBs wanes, and unemployment increases? Just food for thought though.

Regards,

Marty