Managed Funds What is your favourite International fund?

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by tropic, 30th Apr, 2007.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. jscott

jscott Well-Known Member

Thats why those same academics suggest indexing - so that you don't have to pick which fund will be the best!

2. Martyvee

Martyvee Member

I was just wondering along the lines of the point made by Sim about the average 5 yr return not being very meaningful as with Platinum International (in this or another post), which had one really great year which gives a very good average.

Is it possible from the published average performance figures to work out each funds return for each year?

Ie. if 1yr performance is given, and the 2 yr average return given also, to work out the actual 2nd years (ago) return by working backwards from the average?

eg. 1yr return 10%, 2yr average is 20%, so then the 2nd years return was 30%.

Would this work, and could it then be taken further to the 3rd year etc, to compare different funds with each other over the same period?

3. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Marty - much easier to just work it out yourself from the raw data.

Once I get a good reliable (and cheap!) source of data, I'll publish something which shows the actual annual figures.

4. MJK__

MJK__ Well-Known Member

CRC,

What are you plans for UBS Aus prop Fund going forward?

Are you leaving large amounts of cash there?

I to am heavily weighted in this Managed LPT. I watch the fund monthly and see it slowed in Jan - March qtr although distribution was good.

MJK:D

5. MJK__

MJK__ Well-Known Member

With regards to Internationals, I gave up on Platinum international after a lack lusture year:( . Switched platinum to my Vangard W/S Intl shares index hedged which has done about 15% FYTD (3 Qtrs) by comparison.:)

I picked up some EQT SGH LaSalle Global Listed Property also which has not performed immediately but I hope to see some results soon.:eek:

Only about 10% my managed fund portfolio is international atm.

MJK

6. dkmc

dkmc Well-Known Member

I dont get whats been wrong with the performance of platinum international
    Isnt it performing roughly the same. I havent done the calculations.
    The only thing being that the strong rise in $A in the last yr or so.
    I havent done the figures but Id expect the underlying stocks to be returning very well. Now might be the ideal time to invest if the dollar has peaked

7. crc_error

crc_error The Rule of 72

I'm thinking the same, our strong dollar at the moment will allow us to buy discounted OS shares! The dollar can't keep running, I mean it was 45 cents a few years ago, now its 86! So if these funds aren't losing money, then that would suggest the underlying assets are still growing.. Who knows if Labor win the election, it may be a good time to transfer money OS.

I'm a strong believer in been involved in a few things... its silly to invest everything in one asset class..

8. crc_error

crc_error The Rule of 72

recently I beefied up my international property securities fund, as they have taken a hit recently (good time to get discount) and I have invested into Hunter Hall Global ethical trust.. So if the ozzie market doesn't perform as well in the next 12 months, I'm not to worried.. we are already seeing a correction in ozzie LPT's..

9. Simon Hampel

You have to understand why our dollar is so strong - including the fact that many other OS economies are struggling at the moment ... many OS markets are also not doing much at the moment - so investing OS might see poor returns (look at Platinum's funds - only Asia is performing well at the moment, although Europe is okay, but not great).

I'd suggest that if the resources boom continues to drive strong economic growth in Australia (and inflation!!), and if the US continues to struggle economically, we may well see the AUD hit parity again !!! In the shorter term, I think we might see the AUD at 90c against the USD by the end of the year ... and possibly higher if we get interest rate rises before then.

Just speculation - but I certainly wouldn't count on the AUD being at the peak already ... I really think it has a way to go yet.

10. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

"In the shorter term, I think we might see the AUD at 90c against the USD by the end of the year ... and possibly higher if we get interest rate rises before then."

Possibly higher that 90c :eek:

"Just speculation - but I certainly wouldn't count on the AUD being at the peak already ... I really think it has a way to go yet."

Same here !;)

11. tropic

tropic Well-Known Member

I also think that if the resources boom continue our dollars will get stronger.
    But I still like Platinum Asia fund because it invests in a country like China that is still expanding at a much faster rate than other countries especially comparing to Europe and US. As for how volatile their share markets are, is another question. I also think Chinese Yuan is artificially kept low and they will eventually has to revalue it. I am also hoping than the fund shorting strategy works well ;) .

Warren Buffet that has been shorting US currency for a few years apparently has gone long on another currency in the last year or so.
    Some people say it's Chinese Yuan or US$, I think it's AUS$.

12. Nigel Ward

Nigel Ward Well-Known Member

Back in late September 06 I heard a talk by Bill Evans (chief economist for Westpac) and he said AUD at 90c US was what he thought was the true level...

Cheers
    N

13. DaveA__

DaveA__ Well-Known Member

This is International Finance 101.... many banks are loving this abridge opportunity, and as long as they hedge, its a guaranteed way to make money...

until japan can stop borrowing so cheaply, it will keep climbing IMO

14. bundy1964

bundy1964 Well-Known Member

There was a bit in todays paper about China keeping our interest rates down with their cheap money invested in the US government bonds and Australian retail customers rather than them spending it on local infrastructure due to fears of another asiain style meltdown.

Plat Asia would be my choice currently and Brands as a balanced option.

15. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

"The Australian dollar climbed to new highs against the US dollar despite the lack of economic data.
    Big investors here in the US and in Japan continued to plow into the currency on expectations that the Reserve Bank of Australia may raise interest rates in August.
    Tonight’s import and export prices will give us a good clue on whether they will actually raise rates."
    :cool:
    PS - At the moment...12c to parity !! :D

16. Simon Hampel

Good time to be planning an OS holiday !!

17. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

That is what I am doing right now :D :D
    Short trip around the world !!! (2-3 months from now) :p :p

18. voigtstr

voigtstr Well-Known Member

I like platinum asia, its had a 7.69% increase in 46 days (started tracking it on 18/5/07)

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia