What market trends do you see for the future?

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by Takestock, 26th Jul, 2006.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Takestock

Takestock Well-Known Member

I'd be interested to see what market and business trends InvestEders (Hey look - I invented a word!) forecast for the future. This may give some direction for long term investors.

To start, here's a couple of thoughts I have:

1. As the population ages: Health (pharmaceuticals and hospitals), retirement villages, tourism for older folks and funeral business:(

2. Alternative Energy supply: Windfarms, Solar, Nuclear

3. Entertainment: Consolidation of media outlets, greater use of Internet for communication (eg phone, fax, music, video etc)

Now I just have to evaluate businesses that supply the above to sort the wheat from the chaf and invest for the long term! :D

What other areas do you see becoming increasingly important?

What current businesses listed on the ASX do you see as being a beneficiary from these trends?

Cheers

2. Nigel Ward

Nigel Ward Well-Known Member

Financial services...

Retirement homes is an interesting one. A number of them have failed so far.

Perhaps the traditional retirement village model isn't appropriate for our high living independent minded boomers?

3. D&K

D&K Well-Known Member

I don't think retirement homes will come to the forefront for another ten years at least, the baby boomers might be retiring but they still have a few good years left in them. The over 55's estates seem to fill the gap, and many have such ridiculous conditions placed on them (ie giving up half your capital gain, selling through the on-site managers, etc) that a half fair system will probably do well (secure, low maintenance complexes in good recreational locations).

Long term real-estate leases could be another good one, they free up the kid's inheritance for spending while retaining security in a place to live - probably better than reverse morgages.

Any fad that prolongs life or looks will be a winner (cure for cancer or wrinkles, either way). Pursuits that fill in the liesure time (but still value for money) will probably do well. I'm not sure if this translates into caravan sales or not? Motor bikes (cruising style) seem to be gaining popularity already - invest in a motor bike or caravan shop? Fishing and quilting and suppliers to similar hobbies will probably do well.

I would hope for alternative energy also, but coal seems to have a stranglehold on government policy for now (more powerful than an orange -bellied parrot that hasn't been seen within 50km of a wind farm, but which is being wiped out by ferral cats? - whoops, off on a tangent :eek: ).

And with the way China and India are going, there might be a slowdown in resources, but it wont last long ... coal, uranium, iron ore, aluminium, etc.

Just my 2.25c worth ... consumption taxes like GST will have to go up to pay the pension for those who haven't planned well ;)

Dave

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia