What sounds like the better investing strategy

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by jack0194, 3rd May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. jack0194

jack0194 Active Member

Say I want to invest $3000, do I

A: invest it in Blue chip shares?

B: Invest it in ETF stocks? or

C: forget both those ideas and put it in super?

2 people like this.
  2. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

welcome to InvestChat ,

first you should consider your own aims ( and you , yourself )

given that 3 of the big 4 banks have just released ugly results , , that has put a cloud of an important piece of the 'blue chips , which WILL flow on to passive ETFs

since you feel confident that you can do as good as your super ( and some of those funds will be a mess currently , so the performance bar might not be high )

so if you go for an ETF , would you go for a 'smart beta ' style ( either equal weight or high div. yield ) hoping the fund manager makes good choices on your behalf NORMALLY those 3 banks are a big part of these ETFs as well but the fund manager has the option of swapping out of them and buying something traveling better , if he can find them )

'blue chips ' apart from those 3 banks , might work if you select wisely

now if you want to be brave , you could pick one or two of those 3 stressed banks hoping all will come good in the next 3 years , somewhere around $15 for any of those banks is a little expensive currently , so sub $15 close to $12 if the market slides further , is not that bad for a novice to build on

REMEMBER ALL INVESTING INVOLVES RISK , by risk i mean losing some or ALL of your money ... so be mentally prepared to lose it , but i hope you don't

by the way it might be very hard to define a 'blue chip' in the current climate , something like SYD or TCL would NORMALLY be boring but solid in a downturn , but not this time , they have extra stress of their own

please take plenty of time to research your targets ESPECIALLY the ETFs , it is a lot of effort but they are NOT all the same those little details can make a BIG difference to your results

cheers and good luck

3. Waimate01

Waimate01 Well-Known Member

Important to recognise that "super" is not an investment strategy -- it is a tax concession. Once the money is "in super" whoever is managing it is left with pretty much all the same investment options that existed "outside super".

2 people like this.
  4. GThomo

GThomo Member

Jacko, chances are the money in super is going to end up in either blue chip shares and/or ETF's anyway. You just have less control. As twisted said, the banks have released so ugly results but is that going to continue? How long are you looking to have the money tied up?

Personally I have money in ETF's but I am not throwing more at it. I do have investment mortgages though and I am throwing all spare cash at those while interest rates are low. Not sure if that is an option for you?

2 people like this.