What to do when you have IPs and are renting a PPOR

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by gretchiii, 21st Nov, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. gretchiii

gretchiii New Member

Hi all,
    My husband and I own 4 properties, one we are currently living in but we've outgrown. We want to move in to a house in Kingsgrove or surrounding suburbs but we can't buy one unless we sell one of our Eastern Suburbs units which we don't want to do. So we've decided to rent a house in the area because rents for houses are very cheap compared to cost price and we get to keep our 4 properties and rent the perfect home for us for $800 a week. With good discounts on rates for P+I, is it worth putting any of our IPs on P+I (from nab I could get 3.78% compared with 4.78% for I. Of course if I owned the home I'm living in I would put that on P+I but what to do if the one your living, you don't own....?

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

It might be worth doing as you will get a lower interest rate. But probably best to try to extend all loan terms back to 30 years if you can so as to minimise repayments.

Another strategy is to borrow extra against the one you are living in at owner occupied rates before you move out and to use this to pay down higher investment loans. Can be done without ruining tax deductibility but get some tax advice

2 people like this.