Join our investing community

What to do?

Discussion in 'Accounting, Tax & Legal' started by jezztri, 14th Nov, 2009.

  1. jezztri

    jezztri New Member

    14th Nov, 2009
    United Kindom
    Hi there,

    I hope someone can help me.

    I have been living in the UK since 2002 working.

    I have a rental flat which has a yearly income of around $9600 and some shares which have under $100 dollars in dividends a year.

    Since 2002, I have also accumulated further Fee Help (Hecs previously).

    My problem is that i have not lodged a return since about 2005, which I am really worried about.

    I am also in the process of selling the rental property.

    My question is, as a non-resident for tax purposes, will the income on my property be taxed at the 29 cents to the $ and what about after I sell it?

    I also have an outstanding mortgage on this rental property.

    Also, would I my residential status be non-resident throughout the 8 years because I changed visa statuses throughout this time from working holidaymaker, to student visa, to highly skilled and non a UK resident.

    Any advice would be appreciated.

  2. Billv

    Billv Getting there

    15th Jul, 2007
    Sydney, NSW