What to invest in ?

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by Bez__, 30th Nov, 2007.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Bez__

Bez__ Member

Hey guys,
    I purchsed my first IP in April this year and now I want to start investing again.
    The property is a 2 bedroom unit located in Taree (not counting on much capital growth :( )
    Purchase price - $125,000
    Loan - $115,000
    Current loan - $109,000
    Rental income - $155 p/w
    The property costs me roughly $50 a week out of my pocket.

As for my next investment iv been thinking about shares or managed funds, I only earn $34,000 a year so comming up with enough money to cover the costs of buying property is pretty hard.

Iv been thinking about getting a $25,000 loan and buying a Share pack from commsec..

Im a bit lost at the moment, sometimes I think maybe I should pay off my IP loan some more then somedays I think i should throw all my money into shares..

What do you guys think my next investment should be ?

Thank you :)

PS. I am currently renting and have no other debts..

2. samaka

samaka Well-Known Member

After paying all your monthly costs (including the holding cost for the IP) - how much do you have left to invest?

Rather than buy a share pack - why not buy an ETF? What is your time frame for this investment (not the current IP). Do you want to hold for a year and then use it as a deposit for another property - or is this a buy and hold strategy and you don't intend to sell it ever?

3. Bez__

Bez__ Member

I can invest about $500-$600 a month id say...

My time frame is probly 5-10years ? but thats not set in stone..
    Id like to try and double my income in 5 years.

4. The Stig

The Stig Well-Known Member

I think it is good to get a balance of property and stock market.

5. Simon

Simon Well-Known Member

if you want to stick with your current portfolio size then pay down the unit.

If you want to grow your portfolio then buy the shares.

I choose to grow and will keep going till I reckon I have enough - that may never come :eek:

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia