What tools do you want?

Discussion in 'Property Information Resources & Tools' started by Nigel Ward, 28th Mar, 2006.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Nigel Ward

Nigel Ward Well-Known Member

Nigel Ward submitted a new resource:

What tools do you want? - What tools do you want?

Read more about this resource...

Last edited by a moderator: 15th Sep, 2016
  2. jscott

jscott Well-Known Member

Thanks Nigel - great spreadsheet!
    Just wondering when you open it are you supposed to enable or disable macro's? I thought that since it has macro's there must be a reason so enabled them the first time I opened it but it generated errors and seem to launch in vb debug mode!?!? Anyway, if I launch it with macro's disabled it seems to work fine.
    Thanks again.

As for further suggestions.... Hmm can't think of anything right now for a spreadsheet, but maybe a separate page on InvestEd to house these sort of "tools" or "calculators" would be good.

Jason.

3. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

A tools collection as part of the site is definitely in the plan Jason.

4. jscott

jscott Well-Known Member

you too quick Sim - I posted this on the other thread as well about the future of InvestEd...

5. Simon Hampel

Well, here is as good a place as any to discuss this.

I intend to have an area of the site set up for us to host tools like this - such as spreadsheets and other forms of simulators and calculators.

So as Nigel asked ... what would you all like to see ?

6. MichaelW

MichaelW Well-Known Member

Sim,

I'm happy to help build some of these if there's any real interest in excel spreadsheets.

I might just throw another one up here that I built for someone over at Somersoft. This one is just a bank account model for your kids. It shows the power of compounding interest graphically and allows you to put in deposits and withdrawls and monitor the growth on their investment with you (as the bank) over time.

Cheers,
    Michael.

Attached Files:

7. Nigel Ward

Nigel Ward Well-Known Member

Slight revision. I realised there was a problem when you dragged the LVR down below your existing loan. should be fixed now.

Cheers
    N.

Attached Files:

8. TechMan

TechMan Well-Known Member

I think that would be a fantastic addition to invested. As i know personally that i could create spreadsheets for many things that i want to model, but the thought that always lingers in my mind is that if i have missed anything and that it might not be calculating something correctly.

By having a section where these calculators are open for all to see should mean that such an issue will no longer be a problem.

I think it should have simple ones to start off with that everyone could use.

i.e. If i were to invest X dollars into Navra and it returned Y% pa what would the income be. If instead of taking the income it was reinvested show the growth over time of units in the fund. What if a margin loan were added at Z% interest. Pretty much modelling what an investor into Navra would be considering.

I remember also when i went to the Navra Financial Services weekend course Steve had a spreadsheet which demonstrated what an individual or couple could achieve with their current earnings and following the LOE structure. It allowed Steve to show how many years it would take the Individual or couple to achieve their desired goal and how many properties and funds they would need etc. Does anyone have this?

Anyways i hope this thread keeps going as again i iterate that i think this is a great idea.

9. Andrew__

Andrew__ Member

Have you seen Irows? Might be better than
    attaching excel spreadsheets to posts, no
    MicroSoft tax to pay at least.

andy

10. TechMan

TechMan Well-Known Member

Looks pretty good.

However, I was envisaging an area where you could access all the spreadsheets in one place instead of having to trawl through threads to find a spreadsheet though.

11. Simon Hampel

That's what I intend to do Leandro, although I will investigate offering something other than downloadable spreadsheets in Excel format ... I certainly don't want to be forcing people to buy MS products - I'm trying to remove my own dependence on them too !!

If it has to be a spreadsheet, I may just look at offering an OpenOffice.org version of the file in addition to an Excel version.

12. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

*Bump*

Still a great idea ;)

13. TheCamel

TheCamel Active Member

I know there are plenty of spreadsheets on SS relating to property investment (i'm thinkin of the IP Costs V13/14 in particular) but they all only refer to 1 property.

I'd really like one that can work out the costs over 2 or more.. but i guess that's what something like PIA is for ?