Join our investing community

What would happen if the economy hit ROCK BOTTOM!!!

Discussion in 'The Economy' started by rjc79, 30th Sep, 2008.

1. rjc79

rjc79 Member

I got thinking today, what would happen if the economy died so badly, Banks had no money, sharemarket was dead. millionaires would lose all their money, the whole way of life as we know it would completely crumble. Nobody could access money, where would we go from there, how would you possibly recover from that? Inflation was that of Russia in the early years.

Hypothetical, but if?

2. AsxBroker

AsxBroker Well-Known Member

Hi RJC,

Interesting question.

IMHO, banks will always have money as people want to get interest for their money. If people stash their cash in the mattress they won't receive any interest and their money will be eroded by inflation.

Basically it comes back to risk and return, if depositors believe that the banks are riskier than the returns they will get (anywhere between 0.01% to 7.5% or so) then they will take funds out (ie, having runs on banks) which has happened in the UK and US.

One of the staff today asked me what would happen if the index dropped to zero. I explained that this was highly unlikely and explained how the index was made (weighted averages etc...) and that the All Ordinaries Index (close to the S&P/ASX300) started in January 1980 at 500. If the index dropped to zero it would be anarchic!!!

Cheers,

Dan

3. Billv

Billv Getting there

If it did the majority of us would be unemployed....:eek: