Join our investing community

What's going on?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Mark Laszczuk, 17th Sep, 2008.

1. Mark Laszczuk

Mark Laszczuk Well-Known Member

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed a sharp drop in the amount of posting on here? What happened to everyone? This used to be a great place to have lively discussion about investing, now it's almost a ghost town!

Mark

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Co-founder Staff Member

Actually posting has picked up in recent weeks - but it is down overall ... and has been since early this year ... funnily enough around the time the stock market went into reverse! I believe there is a connection.

3. Mark Laszczuk

Could be, Sim. Bit of a shame, actually.

Mark

4. ActiveTrade

ActiveTrade Well-Known Member

Agree- it's been a little quit here.

5. islandgirl

islandgirl Well-Known Member

I notice everytime the market crashes the forum's go quiet. I figure people are either picking themselves up off the floor, slitting their wrists or busy day trading. I guess its a case of if you can't say anything nice (or positive) don't say anything at all.

Most of the posts on the forum have been about "what funds should I invest in" or "what would you do in this case" etc and I guess no one is willing to make any suggestions at the moment!!

6. crc_error

crc_error The Rule of 72

prehaps people are not looking at investing now?

Sit on the sidelines I guess.. close up shop, come back next summer...

7. Chris.R_WA

Chris.R_WA Well-Known Member

Too busy trying to stay solvent!!

Investing is not much fun when all you're doing is fighting to stay in the same place, and not go backwards...:eek:

8. Jacque

Jacque Team InvestEd

Quite normal when consumer confidence is low, as is the current sentiment of the majority, I suppose. NOT wanting to discuss probable losses with others on a forum like this is perfectly logical when you think about it :)

9. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

Who said that investing is a fun? :confused:
    I would say it's a business like any other business.
    Also, investing without strategy is a pain.

10. voigtstr

voigtstr Well-Known Member

I'm checking here and somersoft each day :)

11. Billv

Billv Getting there

Some days is quiet but I think it's normal as people lose money and therefore lose interest in investment discussions.
    It's only a short term thing, when markets pickup we won't be able to keep up with all the new threads...:D

12. Mark Laszczuk

But this is the best time to be getting into the market... I guess when the inevitable happens, you find out who's serious about education and who isn't. Blargh, I just want to discuss investment principles! This is the best time to really get some awesome discussion going and everyone has taken their bat and ball and gone home. It's lonely out here on the cricket pitch, lads.

Mark

13. DaveJ

DaveJ Well-Known Member

The posts on this forum are mostly only 'Bullish' strategies (eg buying IPs, Managed funds, cash, etc etc). When everything is going down not many know what to do or where to go....

I believe it will be quite quiet here for awhile yet! :rolleyes:

"If in doubt stay out" and "Trying to catch a falling knife is an awfully painful strategy" are two great thoughts in the current market.

Why not go fishing and pretend you're retired! :p

Or read about how to profit 'on the short side of the market'

14. ilori

ilori Well-Known Member

Reminds me something... I recall some years ago during a very quiet time in the property market... real estate agents in a local agency would pick up their desk phones and listen for a dial tone to make sure they were still connected, no-one was phoning :) Of course when property was hot the phones rang all the time...

Just human nature I suppose...

15. Alan

Alan Well-Known Member

Can't say whether I really noticed any increase or decrease but it's a fascinating time to discuss what is going on.

Three large US Banks, largest insurance company all effectively going belly up..........this is HUGE and will be an important part of financial history.

I think I started a thread at one stage about what we as investors can learn from this process and it didn't get much discussion going.

For most, even if you are out there buying stock at perceived discounts, there's a good chance over a month or two the stock is still worth less money and people generally don't like to advertise that they've lost money. You will get everyone saying things like 'haven't you heard of catching a falling knife' etc.

This isn't really a period when many will be making immediate and large profits, but rather a period when we hold and survive without having to crysallise losses.

Getting through a period like this alone will give us a huge educational lesson for the future.

16. Billv

Billv Getting there

Mark
    True, but the general feel is that the market is going down...:eek:

17. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

I sold all my investments earlier this year and put the cash into the mortgage so I'm just a spectator these days..

18. Billv

Billv Getting there

Good on ya Glebe
    The way things are going you can buy them back anytime and have money to spare :)

19. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

If I had've done it 12 months before I did, I'd have alot more :eek:

20. gad

gad Well-Known Member

IF !

If only I had .........................