Join our investing community

what's the best web content management system?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Nigel Ward, 28th Jun, 2007.

1. Nigel Ward

Nigel Ward Team InvestEd

Okay, a new challenge for the tech geeks amongst you.

Let's say that whilst I'm not a complete tech gumby :rolleyes: I want to develop some websites and manage them without having to learn much about html, php etc.

I'd also want the ability to maintain and upload new material to the site from a browser style interface.

I want it to be simple, but capable of a professional looking layout.

I assume I need something more than frontpage or dreamweaver etc...

I don't want static pages I want to upload and update content and have it categorised and users able to search it.

I also don't want to pay a fortune for it or need a consultant to help me load things, tweak it etc...

Any thoughts? I'm looking at Joomla...

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Co-founder Staff Member

Joomla is a good option - although possibly overkill for most things. Can require some expert help to set up, although there is a lot of info out there to help, plus some fairly good sized communities.

My recommendation for a content management system suitable for most types of site is Wordpress - it's designed to be blogging software, but these days it has some great content management features too. Another advantage of Wordpress is the massive collection of addons and the incredibly large community of users out there (Wordpress is the most popular blogging software). Very easy to set up and configure.

3. arandomperson

arandomperson Member

Yes Wordpress is good if you like a blog style structure to the site, and there are a lot of free themes out there for it as well as plugins. There is also Drupal, which I think is more customisable to a range of different site styles.
    Also there is MediaWiki, the software wikipedia runs on, which is a quite neat CMS and themable as well though the resultant site will have a "wiki" feel though this can be a good thing.
    The above packages are all based on PHP/MySQL which most low cost hosting should support without extra cost.
    There is also Zope/Plone, which is incredibly customisable but presents more of a learning curve, and also it running as a seperate process means more onerous hosting requirements.
    All of the above packages look fine "out of the box", and the closer to their "out of the box" behaviour you want, the less technical fiddling around (with plugins, themes, extensions, patches etc) there is.

4. arandomperson

arandomperson Member

Also avoid the following:
    - OpenCMS
    - Midgard
    I have not had good experiences with either, due to their huge administrative overheads.
    ..just my 2c

5. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Co-founder Staff Member

With the newer versions of Wordpress you don't need to have the site look like a blog - you can simply use it to manage a series of pages and have it automatically generate your navigation for you.

I've known quite a few sites which have given up on Drupal as being too cumbersome.

I like MediaWiki - it's quite powerful and allows you to do some interesting things with your site. However, I also think it's poorly written and poorly documented, and there are much better Wiki based tools out there (I like PmWiki). MediaWiki can be quite difficult to set up and modify.

Just my opinions :D