Whats the deal with selling shares?

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by Hazzaportfolio, 17th Jun, 2010.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Hazzaportfolio

Hazzaportfolio New Member

I bought a heap of shares in a company that doubled in price I sold half and kept the other half. Now the other half has gone backwards by about 75% can i sell the leftovers and claim the loss against my income?
    Should I sell them in this financial year or hold and pay tax on the half I sold?

Help?

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Capital losses may only be offset against capital gains.

You could sell the shares at a loss to offset your capital gains - but if the overall loss is greater than the gain you made, then you won't get to claim anything further, the loss will be carried forward to the future for when you next make a capital gain.

You do need to consider your goals for this investment - is holding long term a better option for you, or do you think you can put that capital to better use in the short term?

PFI provide our clients with the opportunity to purchase an investment property, together with performing equity investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities some providing monthly income. This is the value of advice.