Join our investing community

When the economy goes down, what goes up?

Discussion in 'The Economy' started by NSWGuy, 10th Jan, 2010.

1. NSWGuy

NSWGuy New Member

I've been reading this rather interesting blog post discussing how an economy on the slide can actually drive up demand for certain products as well as negatively affect others such as tax returns, and even pregnancies.

It's an interesting read, check it out:
    When The Economy Goes Down, What Goes Up?

2. Magpie

Magpie Active Member

Apparently 'escapist entertainment' in general was supposed to do well during gloomy times. For instance, I think I've read that the movies did good business during the depression.

Perhaps the internet is grabbing a slice of that kind of action now? I can think of at least one web-site that I've been visiting a bit lately that I didn't know about (or have the motivation to visit) until recently. What's it called..umm....investEd I think.... ;)

Maybe I need to start clicking on more of those Google Ads to improve the site revenue and get it included in that article?

Chris

3. AsxBroker

AsxBroker Well-Known Member

Hi NSWguy,

I wanted to disagree with the pregnancies...apart from my wife being due in late May we have many friends and acquaintances who are also pregnant (probably about 10 or 12 all up).

Maybe it's a sign of the economy changing...or it could be something in the water...

Cheers,

Dan

4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Co-founder Staff Member

I think it's just the baby boom we're going through. It started with the introduction of the baby bonus, and through a form of peer-group-pressure, I think more and more people have decided to have children now ... especially many of the Gen-Xers out there who had put off having kids while they had a career ... they are in their mid-30's now and will be starting families.

The feeling you get that there are lots of kids around is also probably increased when you consider that many families who had their first child when the baby bonus was introduced are now probably on their 2nd or 3rd child.

5. Billv

Billv Getting there

Our buying ability increased due to reduced mortgage costs
    (lower interest rates), and cheaper petrol prices