where do i find the ASX results for past 12 months

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by luke83, 29th Sep, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. luke83

luke83 Well-Known Member

So, for approx 1.5 years i have had a tiny amount invested in the ASX to see how i react to stock price fluctuation on a emotional level, at first every down would movement freaked me out but now i am not really concerned.

Anyway, where do i find/lookup the market benchmarks for the ASX, what i am interested in doing is working out how my average return of 5.5% (fully franked) would of compared to a basic Index fund.

All this is in preparation for when the home is paid off and i can start sinking my mortgage repayments directly into it ( just 2 more years and im free).

2 people like this.
  2. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

i just use raw dividend returns ( and consider franking credits as a bonus that i ignore for the calculation )

so my returns always look poor compared to 'total returns ' which count franking , dividends and share price gains ( but probably don't count theoretical selling costs , , and tax implications )

here is STW ( i do not hold this , but hold VAS ) STW was chosen for this example because it has existed for longer than most Australian focused ETFs

Fund Details - ETF Watch

( remember past performance is NOT a reliable guide to the future ,)

and the share market THRIVES on fear and greed ( regardless of it being human or automated emoyions ) going against these normal instincts is very hard ( but possible )

2 people like this.
  3. luke83

luke83 Well-Known Member

Not 100% sure if i worked it out correctly, i just took total value - (buy price + fees) to get how much they value had increased by, then divided by number of months. I didnt include the Franking either ( maybe i should of) but there should be a easier way. Perhaps the online stock broker i use has it worked out somewhere, i should check that today also.

The current share price of my shares has dropped since i purchased them so most of what i have gained is thought Dividends which i have at 100% DRP.

Looking at the link, im infront so i will call that a win :)

2 people like this.
  4. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

pretend you are a fund manager and use the calculation that suits you best

for shares i DRP only the increase in share holding year on year matters ( to me ) ( share price fluctuations look nice on paper but if i never intend to sell any , )

for shares that don't DRP ( like BHP , only dividends matter , to me .... if the share price drops big time it MIGHT convince me to buy more shares )

what and how your portfolio is measured is important to you , comparing it to someone else ( using their own rule-book ) might lead you to poor trends ( focusing yearly/monthly instead of 5 year/10 year/long term trends )

with DRPed shares ( like CSR ) a lower share price tends to result in extra shares via the DRP so over the last 30 plus years the family has held them ( i inherited the original core and have bought extra and sold some to increase via market timing )

other holdings like WOW that is 100% DRPed currently are liable to be changed to 50% 50% cash divs next year as i plan to need income as i ( officially ) enter retirement ( but keep the 50% DRP to resist inflation over time )

but kieep your options flexible in 2 years time adding an extra garage or granny flat ( home-office ) ( i put on a big solar array in 2013 on my property ) might be better long term value to you

currently the share market is in TINA mode ( There Is No Alternative ) but 2 years can be a long time when planning to invest cash .sensibly ( the narket MIGHT be in 'bargain basement ' territory in in 2 years and thus almost compelling to the newer investor )

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia