Join our investing community

where do i find the ASX results for past 12 months

Discussion in 'General Investing Discussion' started by Luke83, 29th Sep, 2019.

1. Luke83

Luke83 Active Member

So, for approx 1.5 years i have had a tiny amount invested in the ASX to see how i react to stock price fluctuation on a emotional level, at first every down would movement freaked me out but now i am not really concerned.

Anyway, where do i find/lookup the market benchmarks for the ASX, what i am interested in doing is working out how my average return of 5.5% (fully franked) would of compared to a basic Index fund.

All this is in preparation for when the home is paid off and i can start sinking my mortgage repayments directly into it ( just 2 more years and im free).

twisted strategies likes this.
  2. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

i just use raw dividend returns ( and consider franking credits as a bonus that i ignore for the calculation )

so my returns always look poor compared to 'total returns ' which count franking , dividends and share price gains ( but probably don't count theoretical selling costs , , and tax implications )

here is STW ( i do not hold this , but hold VAS ) STW was chosen for this example because it has existed for longer than most Australian focused ETFs

Fund Details - ETF Watch

( remember past performance is NOT a reliable guide to the future ,)

and the share market THRIVES on fear and greed ( regardless of it being human or automated emoyions ) going against these normal instincts is very hard ( but possible )

Luke83 likes this.
  3. Luke83

Luke83 Active Member

Not 100% sure if i worked it out correctly, i just took total value - (buy price + fees) to get how much they value had increased by, then divided by number of months. I didnt include the Franking either ( maybe i should of) but there should be a easier way. Perhaps the online stock broker i use has it worked out somewhere, i should check that today also.

The current share price of my shares has dropped since i purchased them so most of what i have gained is thought Dividends which i have at 100% DRP.

Looking at the link, im infront so i will call that a win :)

twisted strategies likes this.
  4. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

pretend you are a fund manager and use the calculation that suits you best

for shares i DRP only the increase in share holding year on year matters ( to me ) ( share price fluctuations look nice on paper but if i never intend to sell any , )

for shares that don't DRP ( like BHP , only dividends matter , to me .... if the share price drops big time it MIGHT convince me to buy more shares )

what and how your portfolio is measured is important to you , comparing it to someone else ( using their own rule-book ) might lead you to poor trends ( focusing yearly/monthly instead of 5 year/10 year/long term trends )

with DRPed shares ( like CSR ) a lower share price tends to result in extra shares via the DRP so over the last 30 plus years the family has held them ( i inherited the original core and have bought extra and sold some to increase via market timing )

other holdings like WOW that is 100% DRPed currently are liable to be changed to 50% 50% cash divs next year as i plan to need income as i ( officially ) enter retirement ( but keep the 50% DRP to resist inflation over time )

but kieep your options flexible in 2 years time adding an extra garage or granny flat ( home-office ) ( i put on a big solar array in 2013 on my property ) might be better long term value to you

currently the share market is in TINA mode ( There Is No Alternative ) but 2 years can be a long time when planning to invest cash .sensibly ( the narket MIGHT be in 'bargain basement ' territory in in 2 years and thus almost compelling to the newer investor )