Join our investing community

where to get information

Discussion in 'Shares' started by talbashan, 9th Nov, 2005.

1. talbashan

talbashan Well-Known Member

hi all,
    I'm reading some of the suggested books about investement, which some of you have recommended.
    My next question is, where do i get information about companies in order to make informed choices about whether to invest in them or not.
    I am particularly interested in history of share prices, price to equity ratio's for the past 10yrs, per share earnings, etc...
    thanks,
    Tal :)

2. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

3. eddievanhalen

eddievanhalen Active Member

For basic charting of prices and access to the quality Aspect Huntley database on company stats/ratios all you need to do is set up a (free) Comsec account. Your access to their website will give you all of this.

Personally I use Metastock for charting and Just Data for my price data + I subscribe to Aspect Huntley (a few extra features) but you can get most of this for nothing via Comsec .

Ed.

4. Ol School Skata

Ol School Skata Well-Known Member

Great Book

talbashan,

Grab yourself a copy of Top Stocks 2006 by Martin Roth. It is in a lot of bookstores.

Great book - details his criteria for selecting stocks and what his preferred criteria levels are etc. His book as approx 112 companies with summaries for each company. This is the 12th edition (12th year) so it has been going for a while.

His quote...

"Top stocks is written for every investor who has ever wondered:

There are 1700 companies on the stock exchange - where do I start?"

Do yourself a favour and grab it - only came out about 1 month ago so info is still relatively fresh

OSS

5. talbashan

thanks everyone..
    i've been reading 'buffettology' which i'm sure you're familiar with. i understand the concepts but not how to go abouts getting all the info required. so thanks for your help.
    tal

6. Mark Laszczuk

Mark Laszczuk Well-Known Member

Buffettology is one of the best books written about the stock market as far as I'm concerned. For me though, I'm more than content to hand my money to the pro's and let them do the work. Could I get better returns doing it myself? Maybe, but highly unlikely, certainly not in the next five years. Besides, giving it to the pro's takes all the emotion out of it - which I like.

Mark

7. talbashan

hi mark,
    i tend to agree with you. but while steve is doind an excellent job with my money trading, i'd like to get into some long term investing ala buffet. most of my funds are with navra but i'd like to start with a small sum (10k say) with which to play and cut my teeth.
    the hard thing is to know where to find the information. hence my question..
    cheers
    tal

8. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

".....i'd like to get into some long term investing ala buffet. most of my funds are with navra but i'd like to start with a small sum (10k say) with which to play and cut my teeth ".

talbashan

Well... It's nothing wrong with following Warren Baffett investing ideology..
    But the problem is still the same:
    Can you successfully trade / invest other people systems / ideas...?

What works for. W. Buffett not necessarily might work for you.
    Maybe you should develop your own investing strategy...( which you'll fully understand ).
    So ... before you'll make first move make sure that you can afford to loose 10K which you want to devote to trading / investing.
    Anyway .... Happy trading and keep reading...
    :cool:

9. TakeStock

TakeStock Well-Known Member

Hi talbashan,
    I would suggest you look at the Intelligent Investor newsletter:
    http://www.intelligentinvestor.com.au
    They are value investors with much the same ideology as Buffet.

Cheers