Whitegoods: secondhand or brand new?

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by JudgeDreadz, 4th Nov, 2009.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. JudgeDreadz

JudgeDreadz Well-Known Member

Sliiightly off topic I know.

However, an interesting discussion none the less.

Are there certain whitegoods / substantial kitchen appliances that you should not buy second hand (i.e. more than 4, 5 years old?)

I am about to move out of the folks nest and into my own pad. As timing would have it, one of my work colleagues is moving overseas and is selling her stuff at (it seems) a steal.

Strong opinions welcome :D

2. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Hi Judge

It depends on what brand and what condition they're in. I'd happily buy whitegoods less than 10 yrs old (and have done lots of times) if the price was right and they were in sound condition.

Probably the only exception would be dryers, as most of them don't last 5 yrs before they need a new drum or major overhaul (which works out cheaper to buy a whole new unit).

Check out prices for yourself on Ebay as there's often some great savings there, but you don't know the history of the appliances, whereas you do with an acquaintance or friend/family member.

Happy negotiating!

3. JudgeDreadz

JudgeDreadz Well-Known Member

sweet thanks jacque

4. Wendy Bergsma

Wendy Bergsma New Member

Definately buy second hand, if the price is right, i.e. dont pay too much for them! Really second had items should not be as much as say half price of a brand new item, and if you get them at the right price, if you get a year or two out of them, you are probably still in front. Do the maths, if a fridge lasts 10 years on average and you pay less than half the normal retail price, well you'll want it to last say 5 years. If you pay a quarter of the normal retail price, and you get three years out of it, well you have done all right. Just make sure that the money you save by doing this is put to good investing use (not spent on a flash TV or something!!)

No matter if you buy brand new or second hand white goods, its still a lottery as to how long they last!

Wendy