Who should pay for floor loading report?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by -T-, 4th Apr, 2006.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. -T-

-T- Well-Known Member

Hi All

I have just been asked by a tenant whether the floor in one of our IPs will cope with a 2.5 tonne machine. Would it be my responsibility or the tenant's to pay for a structural engineer? I am fairly certain the floor could take much more weight, but considering the litigious nature of our society, I want to stay well away from such assumptions. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you

T

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Why on earth would someone want to put a 2.5 tonne machine in an AP ?

Or is this a shed ?

Will there be any council regulations broken by having this machine run in a residential area ?

What type of power does it required ? 3-phase ?

3. -T-

-T- Well-Known Member

Sorry Sim', my mistake, this is a 1400sqm+ commercial property. It was an old mill with three stories and built by one of the main contractors from the Sydney Harbour Bridge. It is 40+ years old but is as solid as the bridge itself. We own the whole second floor and have leased it to a local company.

I am fine with paying for the structural report, but thought I'd ask anyway.

4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

ahh ... commercial much more difficult - and not my area of expertise.

5. Takestock

Takestock Well-Known Member

If they are a great long term tenant it would probably be in your best interest to get the report for them. Any idea how much such a report would cost? But, as Sim said above, this is outside my area of expertise.

6. -T-

-T- Well-Known Member

A structural report on a much smaller commercial IP cost us about $400 recently. That was only for a brief on the condition of the IP though. I'm not sure if certifying the floor capacity involves a lot or a little. I'm going to find out tomorrow.

If it's not too much, then that's fine. They are good tenants and since they've already made about $60k worth of improvements and plan for about $50k more, they probably deserve it.

Wow, there's a new strategy... get your tenants to make improvements, increase the rent on them, get it revalued and draw down your newfound equity. Just joking of course! :)