Who's beaten the market - how has your portfolio done

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by dkmc, 2nd Jul, 2007.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. dkmc

dkmc Well-Known Member

Over 1yr, but more importantly over 5-10yrs, and after tax
    How has your portfolio done.
    I mean your full portfolio, including all your investments, shares that you traded / bet with. Cash holdings included.

Mine has done 23.3% compared to S&P all ordinaries accumulation index of 30.28, and S&P 200 accumulation index of 28.6% in the year to june30
    International = platinum brands and platinum asia
    To me its quite poor. The portfolio is not particularly risk managed, tax inefficient
    I know Im to heavy in navra - and its very tax inefficient too
    I have to take into account that navra is 30-40% cash

Im coming around to using index funds, more LIC's, and using DFA
    dimensional funds
    DFA Australia Limited: Home
    DFA Australia Limited: Home
    Performance Data
    Ive been tracking dimensional small and value funds- and I dont think there are any funds beating it long term over 5-10yrs (with no internal gearing)
    The academic research behind it is phenomenal, and based on nobel prize winners fama and french.

my portfolio percentages are attached

I hope others can post charts of their portfolio percentages and how they have performed

Ill post back when Ive restructured, take a bite for CGT, and move all into a discretionary trust for asset protection.
    Im searching for DFA approved advisors atm to help me construct a portfolio

Attached Files:

2. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

/offtopic: What software did you use for the graph? Looks swish :)

3. dkmc

dkmc Well-Known Member

4. crc_error

crc_error The Rule of 72

looks like you don't have much diversification at all.. with everything in Australian shares.

5. bundy1964

bundy1964 Well-Known Member

I have most things in Australian shares too, suits my comfort level and understanding of the market and the companies that trade in it.

Grew my share portfolio size 126% in just under 6 months, won't complain about that at all :D

6. clayton4115

clayton4115 Member

hi i have been buying and selling shares in drips and drabs since 1998, i have an excel spreadsheet which i record everything in, my CAGR as of close of market today 27/6/2008 is -5.48% this excludes distributions and dividends

also this return is the weighed average return of the portfolio as i have more $$$ invested in some stocks than others.