Why DOMAIN will never die

Discussion in 'Real Estate' started by Jacque, 4th Jan, 2006.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Obviously, I use the two RE search sites, realestate.com and domain.com, in my ongoing quest for bargain priced properties :)
    A fellow investor suggested to me recently, however, that they felt Domain was on the slide and that soon realestate.com would take over as the virtual monopoliser in the world of current Aussie search sites of this nature.
    After all, it was pointed out, the same agents advertise on both sites but realestate gets more traffic and is "supposedly" a more user friendly site.
    I begged to differ, and I would welcome a discussion here on what you property investors think :)
    My reasons:

1. Competition that's on an almost equal par is healthy and good and makes for new and improved changes to both sites, on a continuing basis

2. Private sales and rentals are only allowed on Domain- perhaps a small thing, but significant in the eyes of all of us private landlords and DIY sellers!

3. Domain's site has more specific search criteria (eg: I can put in word specifics such as 'side access' or 'room for pool') than realestate offers.

So, over to you....
    Who prefers what and why?
    And, like my investor friend, do you too believe realestate.com will soon become overall king?

2. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

I prefer Domain, but it doesn't handle Firefox well. Often the jpg's are on the text and it's all rather messy.

But when it's working well I much prefer it over RE

3. Jacque

Did you know that Domain receives only about 1/4 of the traffic that realestate does?
    Perhaps they need to step up their advertising so we don't become monopolised by an agent only site.... :)

4. NickM

NickM Well-Known Member

I prefer Domain for all the reasons Jacque outlined.

However, i do research on both.

If RE.com.au opened up a private seller section then domain would definitely struggle.

Nickm

5. Jacque

That's not likely to happen with agents like John McGrath as chairman of realestate.com.au
    He's a huge advocate of selling through an agent (naturally!) to maximise your selling price.
    I've just read his latest book and intend to do a review on it as well.