Join our investing community

wireless broadband

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Nigel Ward, 22nd Nov, 2005.

1. Nigel Ward

Nigel Ward Team InvestEd

Has anybody looked into the best wireless broadband deals at the moment?

I need coverage from my notebook computer in Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne and Gold Coast.

Has anybody used Unwired? If so what did you think? How did it compare to your previous broadband provider.

Any other suggestions? I really don't want to rely on ADSL and just a wireless router.

Thanks
    N.

2. Stevec

Stevec Member

I would never recommend Unwired. I think it is crap! :mad: I used to have it and it was the slowest connection I ever had. It didn't matter if I was in the guts of the city, sydney, to lane cove on the north shore, or out west near liverpool, you did get service but it was soooo slow!! Dial up was quicker. And the battery for the modem only lasted about an hour, so basically you always had to be plugged into the mains power.
    I have now got a wireless pc card for my laptop through Bigpond. :) For me it is fantastic. I am always all over Sydney going from one building site to another. Doesn't matter where I am I can just open up my laptop in the car and go online, I don't have to wait to get to office or home.
    The speed is fantastic and pretty quick, can't really tell any diff from my broadband cable connection at home. I am very happy with it.
    The only downside is that for my first bill last month it was $180 I think. :( They have a plan for 129 at 1GB but slug you for extra usuage. Mine was so high because I use it so much. When I stay at my partners place thats what we use. We can't get broadband there. I know other companies have similar products, but I went with Telstra because of their known coverage. I din't want to risk another brand after my Unwired experience :) but I am paying for it, but it is fast and efficient service.

3. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

Stevec

I heard that wireless broadband makes you more vulnerable to hackers attack than traditional ADSL.
    Is it true ?. :confused:

4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Co-founder Staff Member

Tropo I think you are thinking of wireless (WiFi) routers for cable/ADSL broadband. Wifi networks have some pretty well known vulnerabilities, especially since most come configured without any security (wireless security is too hard for most people to cope with, so its easier to ship it turned off). Even if you have security enabled, for someone who knows what they are doing, it's relatively trivial to gain access to your network.

Wireless broadband (ie services such as Unwired/iBurst/Telstra EVDO) shouldn't make you any more vulnerable than any other network access mechanism, provided that you have your laptop set up correctly. Good antivirus (I use and recommend Norton Antivirus) and especially a good desktop firewall (I use and recommend ZoneAlarm Pro), are must-haves no matter how you connect to the internet.

5. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

Sim,

Thanks for explanation !!!. :)

6. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Well-Known Member

3 CDMA then roaming on telstra GRPS

Vodafone -soon on 3g roaming on GPRS

Telstra Evdo is good coz it gives good coverage even in the bush on telstra cdma bit its a bit pricey still

ta

rolf