Yeild for Australian shares

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by Johny_come_lately, 26th Mar, 2010.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Johny_come_lately

Johny_come_lately Well-Known Member

Hi,

For the last two years I have been getting about 0.725% for each quarter, on the ASX200. Does a bit under 3% p/a sound right for distributions?

Thanks, Johny.

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Are you talking about the STW ETF ?

According to the stats on their website, average distributions have been around 3.5% for the past year and 6%pa for the past 2 years.

Yield is a tricky thing to measure for shares - since it relies on you choosing an appropriate price to measure it against. Yield on purchase price is all well and good, but if you bought at the bottom of the market, it will make your yields look better than they really are.

I believe the industry standard for reporting yields is to use the price at the beginning of the financial year to calculate yield ... which again can be misleading, as it depends on what the price at that time was (and if you bought at a different time, your yield is somewhat different).

3. Johny_come_lately

What was the STW paying in 05 & 06?

Johny.

4. Vagon

Vagon Active Member

It would help if you confirmed what product you're specifically talking about, but if its the STW ETF then theroretically it should track the ASX 200 (XJO) minus a small consideration for fees.

You can get the full performance on State Street's (fund manager) site.

The distributions will also vary depending on the ETF manager but STW's are here.

Cheers

5. Vagon

Vagon Active Member

6. Johny_come_lately

Looking at the State Street websight, I was supprised by the makeup of the ASX 200. 50% of the index is made up of 3 miners, 5 banks and 2 shopping centres. Not quite the diverse businesses I expected.

Johny.

7. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Indeed - our market is extremely top-heavy.

This is one of the reasons why theoretical diversification strategies will suggest you have a significant weighting to international markets - our is just too small. Of course, there are a whole heap of other issues that go along with international markets, so it's not just a simple allocation exercise - careful risk management is also required.