Yet another tax grab...councils this time

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Jacque, 7th Sep, 2006.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

*sigh*
    It's not just the Federal and state govts who are intent on taxing properties for maximum benefit, but now it seems councils are getting in on the act.
    A recent article from The Australian states that local NSW councils are considering a levy of up to 1% on any improvements made to property.
    Full article link below.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,20367820-5006784,00.html

2. Tizzy

Tizzy Well-Known Member

I was gobsmacked about this one too Jacque. I don't think the money grabbing councils have thought about it in depth. It is an engraved invitation for people to do more unapproved renovations and would be a nightmare to police I would think. Can you imagine "Yes I am putting in a little workshop but I got all the bricks from my mate and the builder is my cousin and not charging....what is it costing me? Maybe 200 bucks tops....honest :D".

Now I% of 200 is.....

3. JoannaK

JoannaK Well-Known Member

it's the state govt's fault.

if they managed the budget properly, and spent money on the infrastructure that our LGA's required then council's wouldn't need to do this.

The state govt has been trying, for quite some time now, to force councils to pick up the tab on infrastructure projects that really are the state govt's responsibility.

there are other major levy's the state govt are planning on implementing on several localities within sydney metro, and if they had it their way they would be implemented before december 2006, and forcing council to be their collection agencies!

beware this state govt!

4. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

"beware this state govt!"

Yep...
    Seems to me that Try Hard's boxers would run this state's affairs much better than a current govt.
    :p

5. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Hey - our state politicians have been known to start boxing matches in parliament ... it was on TV :D

So why not a couple of real boxers then I say ! They'd have good media appeal.

6. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

Good idea !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

7. TryHard

TryHard Well-Known Member

How weird - a mate just emailed me to ask if I could get our older boy boxer to run in the State election - considering we have nothing to choose from in tomorrow's line up.

We missed the boat this time round, but I'm considering it for next election - he'd love to smoke cigars and drink expensive scotch while barking about how much he cares about the little people.

Did anyone see the Michael Moore episode where he managed to have a Ficus run for Congress ?

http://www.michaelmoore.com/words/message/index.php?messageDate=2000-06-20

Classic stuff circa 2000 ... "Since we announced that we were running a potted plant against a New Jersey incumbent with no opposition in his primary, the idea has exploded across the country. There are now nearly 3 dozen Ficuses running official candidacies for the U.S. House of Representatives."

My votes with the dogs and plants - human politicians seem in general to be devoid of any usefulness ...