Young Investors (<30) Thread

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by Lam Thieu, 4th Nov, 2007.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. blingbling81

blingbling81 Member

Hi everyone

Great job everyone i wish i started earlier,
    my name is toby and im 28 im a car stereo fitter have been for 10yrs
    i only started to think about investing 4yrs ago when we moved into a private rental and our land lord told us his story about how he had 3 propertys, when i heard this i was amazed and hooked. since then i have spent my time looking for any way to make money i started to buy car cdplayers of ebay broken and fix them and sell them making a bit of them then it went to laptops and now tvs like plasmas, those are my short term investments, my gf and i decided we had to get into the market but couldnt afford much so we bought a 2200sq block of land out west next to my parents place for $31,000 then just before we got married we bought a house in gympie for 218,000 which is now rented for 195wk we are still renting but looking at buying our house next year its easier and also less comitment, we also just built a billboard on the block of land and will be getting $100 a week for each side, our next step is to buy another block of land and put up another billboard which is not easy as council approval and main roads approval cost a bit upfront and thats if they approve it, maybe looking at investing in some stocks. please feel free to ask any questions or comment as im still learning as well and would love to hear some feedback or sugestions thank you

2. piersw

piersw New Member

It is very important to start out and stay on track. Myself and many i know had done well in our early 20's. But, in that market every one was. Then, techwreck..... i remember having breakfast with a friend on the friday morning, we had lost around $100k between us, while we laughed about it.....

protecting yourself is important and easily achievable and not just from 'diversifying'.

you can also save a bundle on tax if strucured effecively.

these are areas that can be complicated. if you would like more in, email me and i can pass it on....

3. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Hi piersw ... the forum community is here for people to share and learn, not for you to solicit business. How about you focus on helping everyone learn - as people get to know you better online, they will value your contributions and seek you out for advice.

4. vorpal

vorpal New Member

Hey all,

It's been a while since anyone posted in this thread, but I make the criteria. I'm 21 years old and am about to finish my degree in Criminology. I enjoy finance and business and could go back to school and do a course in half the time, but I think I'm going to find a job and try get some investments. I currently have none, as I've been studying full time since I was 18, so no time to work. I've got about $4k in my savings account and looking at playing around with the share market and trying to build that. Hopefully I'll get a full-time job soon and look at loans for IP or even a margin loan.

I feel like I'm behind the eight ball compared too everyone else :(

Ryan

5. Johny_come_lately

Johny_come_lately Well-Known Member

Better than having $0.00 and no education to fall back on!

J.

6. Chris C

Chris C Well-Known Member

7. Damoz89

Damoz89 Member

Age - 21

Work - I.T w/ State Government, 55k p/a

Cash Savings - $22,000
    Cash in Share market - $12,000
    Cash in $US dollars - $4,000 (Thought I would get in at parity.. a lot of speculation, but I don't think it'll remain strong forever)

Current Saving Rate - $2500/month
    Expenses $100/wk board, Car, Phone, basics.

Goal: To be wealthy, own a nice home, travel and experience all life has to offer (this costs money) It ****** me off when people say it doesn't buy happiness. "Be thankful for what you have, its not all about money" Perhaps not, but there's no denying it would significantly enhance it. Annoys me even more that the people who go around saying this are poor themselves. It's like they want to keep you in their depressing class.

Negatives: I can be a bit too frugal at times. Friends suggested expensive overseas trip for a few thousand. Immediately I didn't like the idea because my business mind screamed "WASTE OF MONEY" .. but I'm going anyway. I don't want to look back with regrets later. Also, obsessively compulsively checking my portfolio. I don't even need this money for 5+ years, so I don't know why I allow myself to constantly check. I have made my share account trading password a long string of random characters and built it into a program that I can open, the catch is I have to progress through a series of screens, they make me justify my reason for selling. (About 10 interactive prompts) 9/10 times I have shut the program and not making the trade.

Another negative is that I have so many good ideas in my head, books, websites, applications I want to develop, and I probably have the cash flow to get started, it's this overwhelming negative energy from people around me saying "It's risky, you can't do it, most businesses fail" .. Paralyzes me, I start a project extremely motivated then get to a point where it's like "Who am I kidding, you can't do this" and just like that I pull the pin :(

I've been working for 3 years, since 17 as a trainee.
    17-19 I saved $50 It made me sick seeing the amount that had come in on my group certificate and how little I had in the bank. This is what got me started.

8. wdongli

wdongli Well-Known Member

What if I was 21 now?

All of youths who post here know they want the money, the resource to make the dream to be true. I never thought about money until I came to Australia since I suddenly found I needed the money to make my family settled down and get the dream to be true. I really envy all of you!

What if I was 21 now?

1. I would think very hard about what I really want to do in my life in monetary terms. What I really want to do then or now? They are quite different but we all are valued by what we pay except the friendship, mateship, loves, personal interests and tastes, and family, which need us to pay out within our affordability in monetary terms.

2. I believe I would choose to be a wise businessman or intelligent market player to make millions of dollars if not billions. I would do all to me never to be corrupted by the money but just use the money to get the dream or personal legend to be true. Few including our loves know the money making and some would hate the money very well even it should simple. I do feel now if you know the money you have the responsibility for them at least.

3. I would read broadly to get the senses about life, economies, market, business, and myself. I would like to have the resilience and agility of the masters in war. I would like to have the colorful minds of artists. I would like to act a responsible doctors to do anything, no farm first...

4. I would finally focus on my circle to make the money with the efforts to make me the best in my money making circle. I would read and ponder what the Great in my circle thought. I don't want to make new invented wheel but I want to stand on the shoulders of the Great to see what is at the place higher than the Great could see.

5. I would let my mind evolute to the point that I could delegate the value making operational functions to the capable people to get some win-win relationship. I would like all of my team could dance on tap to work for the same target-get the personal legend and then find the way to pay back to the society.

6. I would...but I really wonder how far I could now. But I would follow what I would like to until I could not update my mind and do what I would like to do.

You are young and may have little in hands. It is not problem. You are a piece of white paper, you could draw a great and colorful life or a miserable future. All in your hands and all after yourselves.

Just ponder why you have to get the driver license before you could be thrilled in your first driving in the freeway. It is a question about one life logic that is you are someone to do something and then you just need to find where you need to start. If you start at the wrong place with the wrong reasons at wrong time, you would be trapped and a lot of time and your dream would be gone!

God blesses you since you are young!

9. Johny_come_lately

Johny_come_lately Well-Known Member

Damoz89

"Negatives: I can be a bit too frugal at times. Friends suggested expensive overseas trip for a few thousand. Immediately I didn't like the idea because my business mind screamed "WASTE OF MONEY" .. but I'm going anyway."

'Tis better to experience now, than to regret later. :)

http://www.invested.com.au/85/delayed-gratification-worth-wait-36730/

Johny.

10. Chris C

Chris C Well-Known Member

Welcome to invested Damoz! It's always great to see young guys like yourself taking a proactive interest in being financially smart.

I really enjoyed reading your post, it reminds me a bit of myself and as such I thought I would respond with a few comments. I hope you don't mind.

EDIT: My reply started getting way too long so I decided to post some of it on my personal business blog because it was relevant to what I post about over there (I don't normally promote the blog, it is more a collection of my own thoughts), but here's the link to it if you want to read it:

Business Success – Motivation – Work Hard, Work Smart, Stay Focussed – Keep Moving Forward
    Firstly, awesome work on the above position. I think you've done really well to have positioned yourself so well at such young age.

Money doesn't buy happiness. Happiness is just that feeling or emotion - and as such - it's free.

Emotions and feelings are influenced much more by mindset, perspective, actions and life decisions. But with that said money and happiness aren't mutually exclusive either.

There are both very happy rich people, often those that derive their wealth doing something for which they are proud, and equally, and potentially more common, there are those that are wealthy but she their wealth constantly making sacrifices they wish they didn't have too or conducting themselves in a way that they were not intrinsically proud of.

Also I agree the gratitude in life goes a long way to increasing want happiness - as mentioned above mindset is a critical element happiness and when you take the perspective that you are grateful for everything you have rather than the press everything you don't you're much more likely to be happy.

Ultimately chasing money for the sake of chasing money can be a stimulating and worthwhile goal while you don't have money, but inevitably will once you have obtained money you always left with the question of "what next?". Those that accrue money as a result of being good at what they do in providing lots of value to others via doing something that they enjoy a far less likely to get to that depressing point of questioning "what's the point?" That those who chase money solely for moneys sake.

It's not everyone's dream to be a multimillionaire. I know lots of people that are very happy working four days a week, making enough to get by, but then getting to spend their three-day weekend surfing or having fun with friends. So I think it has to be a case of each their own when it comes to the pursuit of happiness.

That said I know I personally don't like listening to those that have no money give advice to others about money. This is why a forum like invested in such a great place to talk with people about money.

I'm 25, run my own online business, and have also done a fair bit of travelling - Europe, South America, Eastern Mediterranean/Middle East, all around Australia, bits and pieces of Asia - so I might have some insights that might be of value to you.

Firstly, some people just love travelling. Ironically I'm not really one of them. That said travelling can be a great way of exposing yourself to new things, putting yourself in challenging positions, needing to solve problems on the fly, can even be a place to let your mind free itself from what is often a very cloudy routine.

So from this perspective I think travelling can actually be a really good thing for an aspiring entrepreneur. I know I have had many great ideas while travelling abroad (just make sure you always have a pad and pen around you).

That said if I had my time over again, I would have probably done a lot more travelling through Asia rather than travelling through more expensive countries that are also further away – Europe and South America. I just think you get more bang your buck in Asia, it is a bigger culture shock and probably have twice as much fun.

So that's my two cents on travelling.

I like to call that – analysis paralysis. I can often do the same, especially while something is novel and new. That said, hopefully with time you'll realise it doesn't matter how much it look at the figures, you're looking doesn't change them, and you probably have much more valuable things to spend your time on.

My general opinion is that unless you have a portfolio of at least $250,000 most people are probably going to be a lot better off just investing their money in a well diversified portfolio in a set and forget style strategy.

Yes, this will mean you'll only get average returns, but when you consider that 80% of fund managers don't beat the market index the average investor probably shouldn't bother trying until they have a significant amount of capital to justify the time you spent managing it. This is especially true for average investors, given the fact that the average investor will often find they would get a much greater return on investment allocating their time to increasing their income to allow them to invest more.

I have posted a response to these points on my own personal business blog:

Business Success – Motivation – Work Hard, Work Smart, Stay Focussed – Keep Moving Forward

I think it's worth taking the time to read.

:rolleyes:

11. jonesy427

jonesy427 New Member

hi everyone, new to this site and stumbled across this thread so if throw up some info.

job: full time (60hrs+ per week) mining/sparky
    cash savings:55k
    shares:31k

manage to save about 2k a week, we live off my wifes income of 1800 a fortnight and pay 220 a month in rent so all my income goes to savings.

goal: be able to retire when im 40.

currently looking for IP around the 250k mark so i can get rid of the loan in 2yrs or so and then get another one n same again. think this is the 'long' way of doing it though. any thoughts/comments/advice will be welcomed.

12. Evan__

Evan__ Member

Job: Started Work full time 6 months ago + another part time job
    Income: $48k p.a. combined
    Goal: Purchase a home or investment property within the next 3 years with $75-100k. Completing this goal in the next 2 years would be great.
    Investments:
    Had $17,000 of index funds up until approximately 4 months ago when I decided that the index was underperforming the rate available on cash, so moved this to an online savings account. With contributions since then, the amount has grown to $29,000.
    Contributions: I save an absolute minimum of $300 per week, however in the last month or so this has averaged $500 per week.

13. Lee__

Lee__ New Member

Hi everyone.

Age - 20

Work - Real Estate Letting Officer - 30k pa
    Cash Savings - $2,000
    Cash in Share market - $10,000
    Current Saving Rate - $2000/month

Like most naive young people I thought the share market would be my get rich quick scheme. I've had some ups & downs, been up as much as 4g & am now sitting at about a 2g loss. Still holding tight as I have faith in my shares (my largest holding is a uranium producer - was up 30% on this one the day before the japan earthquake).

I'm now looking to for a more conservative investing approach as well as my high-risk share portfolio. I figure I may as well try my luck while I'm young, if all hell breaks loose I don't want to lose it all though ..

14. oding

oding New Member

Wow, I am so impressed with everyone's achievement! I feel so left behind.

This is my first post, so I might as well contribute to this thread (not much to contribute unfortunately).

Just landed my first full-time job (yes took awhile!) - Marketing Coordinator + casual work: $42k pa.
    Planing on saving about $2000 a month if not more, as I'm living at home.
    Savings - $34k (sitting around in the bank)

Investments: NONE, unfortunately. I haven't started any investing yet, and hope to do so very soon.

Hope to hear updates on everybody!

15. greenstripes2039

greenstripes2039 New Member

Occupation: Full Time Education student, casual childcare worker and nanny. Just lost my 3rd job as a casual kids party assistant. I have been averaging around 26 hours a week but that will change now.

Income: Varies... this year will be my highest ever at around $16,000

Currently living with my dad, and will move in with my partner's parents at end of 2013.

Investments:
    Just over $1000 in an ANZ online investment account (managed fund)
    and just opened a first home saver which has $200.

I have $1900 in super, looking to contribute $1000 before end of tax year to get co-contribution before it halves.

Cash:
    $30,000 split between a CBA 5.5%p.a goal saver and net bank saver ($20,000/$10,000)

Monthly savings: around $1000 but will decrease now that I've lost my 3rd job.

Goals:
    Buy IP within 4 years in Perth
    Buy 6 IPs within 15 years
    Further invest in share market so that I have a 40%/40% holding in property and shares by 30.
    $6mil assets by the time I'm 40.
    LEARN MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. M.Investigator

M.Investigator Positive Cashflow Investo

I remember reading this thread a few years ago, and I reread many of the more recent posts today and I must say it is still very inspiring even today.

If you are a young person, read the posts here and you will be motivated to take action to achieve your own goals to invest and achieve greater wealth and financial freedom.

17. Matt88

Matt88 New Member

===============================

***Current Situation***

Age = 25

Work = Junior doctor 2 years out of uni

Investments = zero

Cash Savings = $50

I'm currently saving around ~$2000 per month.

I'm about to move to a regional town where I should get a rental subsidy so will have minimal expenses.

=========================================

**Goals**

Short term goal is to actually start investing in some way. I've been trying to learn as much as possible in the last couple of months but it all seems very confusing. Shares vs. property etc.

I'm thinking I will invest in the Vanguard? LifeStrategy? High Growth Fund until I feel more confident with investing strategies by doing things like reading this forum.

Strategic asset allocation

Income assets 10%
    Australian fixed interest 4%
    International government bonds (hedged) 4%
    International credit securities (hedged) 2%
    Growth assets 90%
    Australian property securities 5%
    International property securities (hedged) 5%
    Australian shares 40%
    International shares 31%
    International small companies 4.5%
    Emerging markets shares 4.5%

Medium term goals are to build an investment portfolio and have a clear investment strategy.

Long term goals are to generate enough of a passive income to work part-time and take extended holidays when I feel like it.

18. Jimmy007__

Jimmy007__ Member

Hi:

Im 28

marketing guy for a financial planning firm (and learning heaps about investing).

currently have:

PPR (3bed x 1bath) - 12 months old - worth: $430k / owe: $328k

Savings: $11k (saving for another deposit on my first IP)

Goals:

Rent out my PPR (appraised at $440 p/w)
    + add 2 Bed x 1 Bath extension / attached separate dwelling. (cost = $65k)
    - so i have 2 incomes from the 1 block:
    $440 for house + $220 for extension

Buy another house and live in it for 18 months and do the above ^

My Goal is to buy a property every 18 months (market and interest rates permitting)

I want to retire at 40 and live off rental income.

Loving this forum.

Last edited by a moderator: 27th Sep, 2016
  19. Investor23

Investor23 Member

Hi All,

I'm 23, Income is 95k + 20k - 60k per annum in bonuses.

Currently have PPR (Just built) - Worth 300k and owing 250k.

I have an investment property worth $380k owing 330k. - IO

Offset account of 45k against my PPR.

Moving forward my monthly cashflow is very comfortable (bonuses are annual though however I tend to use a lot of it for an annual overseas trip) so I am looking at purchasing a share portfolio with ongoing investment plan. Looking at mostly australian shares with a focus on capital growth. Considering margin lending at 50% LVR to hopefully accelerate the growth and just reinvesting the dividends. Alternatively would consider an SMA, something high conviction like a DNR etc, would like the benefits of the underlying investments being in my name.

Also considering renting out my current PPR for tax benefits & depreciation then just living with a friend quite inexpensively to allow me to save faster and invest more aggressively.

Other option I am considering is starting my own business which will hold me back from investing for a couple years however hopefully allow me to build an asset of a different kind and reap the benefits long term.

Thanks!

20. crazyk

crazyk New Member

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and would really appreciate some opinions on my plan, my knowledge of investing isnt that great but im always learning.

work: Im a tradesman in the mining industry doing fly in fly out, my before tax salary is 183k +10% bonus. I can comfortably save 80-90k a year.

Single, no loans or kids or vehicles. I rent an apartment with a friend and my brother, paying $200 a week each.

I own 1 investment property (new unit in perth) and have bought 3 more units/townhouses off the plans in melbourne.

Perth unit value: 550k, 410 owing
    Total purchase price of the 3 in melbourne: 1.44 mill, total of 80k deposited to the developers.
    One of these new units is complete, waiting for the titles to come through, and the other 2 are not far off. Im planning on using equity in my perth place to cover some/all of the mortgage deposites.
    I bought these mostly for tax reasons as im paying about 60k a year in tax at the moment.

Savings: i have 20k in my offset account

My goal is a 7 figure net worth by 30. (this was a lofty goal i set 3 years ago when i first got my job and had no money, now it seems like a possibility. Correct me if im wrong) I really dislike working in the mining industry, most people just spend all that they earn but i really want to get a good financial boost over the next 4 years and exit comfortably.

So i think i need to start building a stock portfolio, here's my plan:

Save up a set amount (say 3000) and put it into a aus managed fund (argo maybe), save up another 3000 and put it in a US managed fund, save another 3000 and put it in an aus index, then 3000 in a US index. Re-invest all dividends while im working.
    So basically dollar-cost-averaging x4.

Is this even close to a good idea? should i put some money into an emerging economy as well?

Oh also, should i keep a certain amount of money in the bank for safety? 20k or so?

Thanks alot guys, i look foward to becoming an active member of the forum.