Join our investing community

You've got to understand rocks if you want to run BHP

Discussion in 'Investing Strategies' started by twisted strategies, 19th Oct, 2019.

1. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

You've got to understand rocks if you want to run BHP

( DYOR )

i hold BHP

my early investing plan was to diversify around a base of 3 core holdings

originally WOW , AMP and ORG , HOWEVER after seeing how ORG had to go into fire-sale mode ( in allegedly good times ) i exited ORG while still in profit and replaced it with BHP , WOW although still my largest holding it has been sold down ( by 50% ) and removed from 'core holding' status as was AMP (which i exited completely while still in some profit .)

leaving BHP and 2 vacant spots in the 'core holding ' plan

the theory behind the core holdings was to have some companies that are so solid they are liable to survive almost any downturn ( so you can imagine my disappointment in ORG , WOW and AMP which have showed signs of major stress , without an accompanying financial meltdown )

WES is still a possible candidate to fill a 'core holding ' spot it still has some investment decisions to make , and the Kidman Resources acquisition still has to prove itself as a sensible acquisition , , but it has a fairly good record on investment decisions ( i think the UK hardware exit was premature but heck i don't get paid big bucks to make those decisions .

( please note BHP is riding an unusual peak in the mining cycle when looking at historical performance you really need to go back 20+ years and see how BHP handled Australia's last recession )